Interview for educator position

Specialties Educators

Published

Specializes in CCRN.

Hi all,

I'm a nurse with a lot of background in ICU, but none in any sort of educator role, who just got an interview for a critical care educator role. Does anybody have any tips on interviewing for a non bedside position? For other interviews I've talked up my ability to learn quickly and function well under pressure, and I've pretty much gotten every job I've ever interviewed for, but they've all been bedside jobs. If you were hiring someone for that position, what would you want from a candidate?

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Understanding of adult learning principles. Organized (there are a ton of records to keep track of and maintain). Tech-savvy to navigate new technology and learning platforms. Experience precepting / super-user role and the like) Indication that you are always learning- certification, participate in local critical care group, member of AACN.

At my last educator interview, I was given a scenario in which a manager requested staff receive training in infection control. I had to explain how I would handle it. I covered learning styles (auditory, hands-on, visual etc.), what I would ask the nurse manager about the knowledge deficits of the staff (bad survey? increase in nosocomial infections?), consider the education of the audience (RNs? CNAs? Housekeeping staff?). I would have to review policy & procedure, look at CDC guidelines, etc etc etc. I said that I would try to make the in-service fun (games?), and not just a boring lecture.

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

Great info so far. I was asked about educating across all the hospital shifts.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.
Great info so far. I was asked about educating across all the hospital shifts.

That is great! Because asking nights to come in on 2-3 hours sleep and learn something goes against biology. Flexing your schedule to meet their needs is crucial.

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.
Understanding of adult learning principles. Organized (there are a ton of records to keep track of and maintain). Tech-savvy to navigate new technology and learning platforms. Experience precepting / super-user role and the like) Indication that you are always learning- certification, participate in local critical care group, member of AACN.

All of this.

Additionally, expect questions about how you would handle people who are adverse to learning and stuck in "the way we have always done it". How you would handle conflict. How you deal with autonomy. I was once asked to go over the steps I take in cooking my favorite dish.

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.
That is great! Because asking nights to come in on 2-3 hours sleep and learn something goes against biology. Flexing your schedule to meet their needs is crucial.

Well, yes and no. In my last job I flexed to meet the needs of night shift based on their complaining that nothing was done on their schedule. This resulted in me being there late at night with few to none of them showing up for class. I am no longer willing to do that and state so openly.

Well, yes and no. In my last job I flexed to meet the needs of night shift based on their complaining that nothing was done on their schedule. This resulted in me being there late at night with few to none of them showing up for class. I am no longer willing to do that and state so openly.

This happened to me too. Very frustrating.

+ Add a Comment