I didn't wake up on time and was too late to come for AM shift?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi, I've never been late or absent for the past 6 months Ive been working in our unit as a staff nurse. Tonight I slept on time and woke up at 6:57Am for a 6am shift. It was seriously terrible. They texted me twice and when i texted back, my senior nurse told me they finally have a floater to replace me and told me to go on possible PM today. I told my senior nurse I didn't wake up on time and was absolutely apologetic.

Now my manager told me to text our department manager because I would be considered absent today.

It really stings a lot because thats one day worth of minus paycheck! Ugh.

Ive always been a very punctual person and would come even an hour before my shift starts. It was absolutely messed up.

I cant believe I caused some panic at the unit because I was absent. Just darn it.

How do I cope with it and have a face to face people tomorrow?

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

I use my phone as an alarm and keep it charged at all times. I'm retired, but on the rare occasion when I need to get up early in the morning, I set two alarms---one, half an hour before I have to wake up so I can take my thyroid medication, and the second when I actually need to be up. I like squeezing in that little bit of "extra" sleep. I also use a really obnoxious alarm tone that goes on and on until I shut it up, by which time I'm wide awake! It's not foolproof, of course, but when I was working it only failed me a couple of times.

You'll be OK, almost everyone on earth has overslept at some point. It's no big deal, just don't make a habit of it and everyone will get over it. Hugs.

Never is a strong word. But, yeah, I was never late due to "oversleeping."

However, I have come to work, and my co-workers would be like, "what are you doing here? You're not on the schedule." :roflmao:

It happened to me once, though I wasn't a nurse at the time. I was supposed to be at work at 0900. I woke up at 1700.

WOW! I cannot imagine being able to sleep for so long after I would normally be up!!

Never is a strong word. But, yeah, I was never late due to "oversleeping."

However, I have come to work, and my co-workers would be like, "what are you doing here? You're not on the schedule." :roflmao:

Now that you mention it, I did show up once for work when I wasn't scheduled. I don't remember the circumstances of how that happened, but everyone got a kick out of it at my expense. :D

I feel same way. Always early to point when I come in just on time everyone is already thinking something happened to me.

But..I wake up at 0330 so no way is this happening without an alarm and I overslept once last summer. I work in prison so there is not a replacement. The staff you have is staff you have so we just do more and help one another out.

+ Add a Comment