Being the ONLY medical personnel

Specialties School

Published

How do you feel? I feel anxious everyday. Though, there is an on call doctor I always feel I'm the only one responsible if something happens

Specializes in Home Health,Dialysis, MDS, School Nurse.

I think about it, but it isn't something I dwell on or worry about daily. We are a small town, I know our police and ambulance are only minutes from getting to us if needed. Plus I do have staff, that while not"medical" per se, are volunteer firefighters, previous military, ect. and that they would jump into help me at any time.

It was something I thought about often but as I got use to my job, I think of it less. I emailed the staff to see if anyone has any type of medical background. Janitor is a prior EMT and one teacher a former lifeguard. Maybe see if there is anyone else in the building who can assist in an emergency?

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
How do you feel? I feel anxious everyday. Though, there is an on call doctor I always feel I'm the only one responsible if something happens

You have an on-call doctor???? WOW!!! That's amazing.

As you work more and get more comfortable, that feeling will fade. Remember we have a small amount of tools, ice, band aids, super-honed assessment skills and awesome nursing judgement. We are equipped to do basic life saving and hand that off to the chain of care. If in doubt, send it out. The rest of the time I find I'm charting and data entering the thousand pre-K and K hearing/vision screening reports...

I think about it, but it isn't something I dwell on or worry about daily. We are a small town, I know our police and ambulance are only minutes from getting to us if needed. Plus I do have staff, that while not"medical" per se, are volunteer firefighters, previous military, ect. and that they would jump into help me at any time.

Thanks for the reassurance

It was something I thought about often but as I got use to my job, I think of it less. I emailed the staff to see if anyone has any type of medical background. Janitor is a prior EMT and one teacher a former lifeguard. Maybe see if there is anyone else in the building who can assist in an emergency?

Thats great idea. I know one teacher aide who used to be an EMT

You have an on-call doctor???? WOW!!! That's amazing.

As you work more and get more comfortable, that feeling will fade. Remember we have a small amount of tools, ice, band aids, super-honed assessment skills and awesome nursing judgement. We are equipped to do basic life saving and hand that off to the chain of care. If in doubt, send it out. The rest of the time I find I'm charting and data entering the thousand pre-K and K hearing/vision screening reports...

I thought every school must have an on call doctor?

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

That may be a state-specific thing. Neither of my campuses ever had doctors even remotely attached.

That may be a state-specific thing. Neither of my campuses ever had doctors even remotely attached.

It's probably required in NJ

+ Add a Comment