Mom takes forever to pickup

Specialties School

Published

When you're sending a sick kid home and mom is taking FOREVER to pick them up... Do you let them hangout in the Health Office or do you send them back to class. Whats the average wait time for you?

That's when you deny it if they don't need it. I tell them "It's a baby boo boo! You don't need a bandaid. Just wash your hands and you'll be okie dokie."

haha thanks

Specializes in school nursing.
my rule of thumb (Ha get it?) is that unless it's bleeding, there's no need for bandaid. Just wash with soap and water. If it's bleeding, soap and water and bandaid or if no bandaid pressure with papertowel until it stops.

So much this! I gave most of the teachers bandaids as well, and it helped a lot. It is actually in our staff handbook not to send "minor things like papercuts" to the nurse. When I saw that, I did a little dance. :smug:

So much this! I gave most of the teachers bandaids as well, and it helped a lot. It is actually in our staff handbook not to send "minor things like papercuts" to the nurse. When I saw that, I did a little dance. :smug:

I gave every classroom a First Aid Kit but they don't use it. They still come to me for papercuts

Specializes in Reproductive & Public Health.
When you're sending a sick kid home and mom is taking FOREVER to pick them up... Do you let them hangout in the Health Office or do you send them back to class. Whats the average wait time for you?

I worked a short stint as a school nurse for teenagers with mental health and behavioral issues, so I totally get the frustration/annoyance of having a kid hanging out in your work space.

But I have a full patient load every day. Maybe this makes me a bad mom, but sometimes the needs of my patients outweigh my kids' non-urgent illness- I am going to see everyone who is already roomed for me before I go, I just am. And if you call me at 2pm, I will probably ask you nicely just to send her home on the bus as planned.

That being said, I tell the school nurse my honest ETA and call to update if it will be later than I thought.

Maybe have them work on their homework or whatever they were doing in class. I also think it would be good to have a cabinet with some books, coloring supplies, puzzles, fidget toys, whatever. If kid is feeling overall OK and there is no risk to the other students, I think it's fine to send them back.

I hope no one is judging me if it takes me 2 hours to come get my daughter :( I really do try my hardest to balance the needs of my family with the needs of my patients.

Specializes in School nursing.
I worked a short stint as a school nurse for teenagers with mental health and behavioral issues, so I totally get the frustration/annoyance of having a kid hanging out in your work space.

But I have a full patient load every day. Maybe this makes me a bad mom, but sometimes the needs of my patients outweigh my kids' non-urgent illness- I am going to see everyone who is already roomed for me before I go, I just am. And if you call me at 2pm, I will probably ask you nicely just to send her home on the bus as planned.

That being said, I tell the school nurse my honest ETA and call to update if it will be later than I thought.

Maybe have them work on their homework or whatever they were doing in class. I also think it would be good to have a cabinet with some books, coloring supplies, puzzles, fidget toys, whatever. If kid is feeling overall OK and there is no risk to the other students, I think it's fine to send them back.

I hope no one is judging me if it takes me 2 hours to come get my daughter :( I really do try my hardest to balance the needs of my family with the needs of my patients.

I never judge a parent who gives me an honest ETA. I get, life gets in the way, and sometimes the stars align in poop way and even your back-ups are unavailable and you can do it, but it takes time. Those are the parents that communicate and update me, apologize and thank me. I love and feel for those parents.

I have kids do homework if they are able with me if I can't sent them back to class. Or nap. The only issue for me is I do not have a lot of space. I only have one cot. So it can be crowded.

Ohh I like this idea. If they are not sick enough they can do work while they're waiting.

Specializes in kids.

Yup, I made a desk with two locked filing cabinets and some boards!

I told the school nurse I am a nurse and gave her alternative phone numbers. I try to work 2 school days a week and be available most of the day. School ends at 3pm and my shift starts at 2.

Yup, I made a desk with two locked filing cabinets and some boards!

In my office everything is locked

+ Add a Comment