CPEN study

Specialties Emergency

Published

I recently passed CEN with a pretty decent margin after a LOT of studying. As well as 14 years experience, 2 in ICU, former CCRN....... Current ENPC and TNCC.

Not strong in peds. Other than peds nurses, I don't know who is. I work in a general ER, and rarely deal with truly sick kids, practically the definition of a low frequency/high risk situation.

I am currently using the Scott Deboer book, and will be attending a 1 day review by him. I find the questions fairly easy, and if I don't know an answer thoroughly, I read the complete rationale- regardless of whether I answered the question correctly.

I find the book well written and easy to read. And, I will be going into the review with a pretty reasonable base.

Any thoughts on whether this is a good strategy?

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

I also prepped with the DeBoer book, as well as ENPC. I passed. :) That was back in 2010. I found that CPEN study and certification made me more confident in caring for peds. Good luck!

Specializes in ICU, CVICU, E.R..

Just curious, did you let your CCRN lapse?

Specializes in Adult and pediatric emergency and critical care.

If you don't care for sick kids much why do you have the desire to test for CPEN? ENPC is designed for nurses who need critical skills for sick kids but in low pediatric census environments, it sounds like this is your current environment. If you wanted additional skills and confidence I would recommend taking PCAR, STABLE, and NRP far before studying for CPEN.

I didn't find CPEN to be particularly difficult but I used the study guide/test bank from the ENA, but pediatric experience is going to be the key to passing. Much of the test are things that we do in the peds ED on a daily basis, but are done very differently in adult/general EDs. If you really want useful pediatric competency then spend some time in a Peds ED, try to get a PRN job in your regional pediatric referral ED.

Just curious, did you let your CCRN lapse?

I did. It was an oversight. But, I am full time ER, and when IO let CCRN lapse, it gave me the impetus to earn CEN.

If you don't care for sick kids much why do you have the desire to test for CPEN? ENPC is designed for nurses who need critical skills for sick kids but in low pediatric census environments, it sounds like this is your current environment. If you wanted additional skills and confidence I would recommend taking PCAR, STABLE, and NRP far before studying for CPEN.

I didn't find CPEN to be particularly difficult but I used the study guide/test bank from the ENA, but pediatric experience is going to be the key to passing. Much of the test are things that we do in the peds ED on a daily basis, but are done very differently in adult/general EDs. If you really want useful pediatric competency then spend some time in a Peds ED, try to get a PRN job in your regional pediatric referral ED.

You are right, that I don't need CPEN. I won't be paid extra, and it will cost me. And, I have ENPC. But, what I have foound is that the process of earning certifications forces me to study. And, the cert serves as a benchmark for me, and a goal to shoot for.

Working PRN in a peds ER just isn't a realistic option for me. But, as a fairly senior nurse where I work, I am sometimes the best pediatric nurse I can find. And, I am not that good. So, while it is difficult for me to incerease my skills, this process helps me increase my knowledge base.

1 Votes
Specializes in ICU, CVICU, E.R..

I'm currently thinking about getting a CPEN certification. But I need to ask administration if they have any "monetary incentive" for achieving the certificate. Besides the addition knowledge in PEDs and additional $$, I love having an extra set of letters following my name. lol

+ Add a Comment