Alternate stethoscope ID?

Nurses Uniform/Gear

Published

I'm in a bit of a pickle, and I'm wondering if anybody has creative suggestions for marking your stethoscope.

I've got a Welch Allyn, which is shaped a bit like the Littmann Cardiology (dual lumen tubing instead of a single tube). I didn't get it engraved when I purchased it because I didn't know if I'd like it and wanted the option to return it. I tried taking it to a local engraver, and they said they wouldn't engrave it because it doesn't have a flat surface.

I've looked at a lot of stethoscope ID tags on etsy, but I don't think they'll fit. I own the 'yoke' stethoscope tag one that's designed to fit the Littman cardiology, but it's too small for my WA.

At this point, I'm tempted to just get a literal dog collar tag engraved with my name and email address and call it a day (I learned this trick from a vet-tech-turned-nurse, lol).

Any other suggestions?

Ok, I've had an idea that I'm actually pretty excited about.

I found a vendor on Etsy who makes hexagonal bar dog tags. I'm hoping I could get it engraved with my name as well as my contact info, then clip it to middle triangular part of my scope with a split ring so it won't slip off. I love the idea of including my contact info instead of just my name; I assume that if somebody is planning to steal the scope a tag wouldn't deter them, but if it's genuinely lost, the contact info increases the likelihood it might be returned.

Hand stamped 6 sided Aluminum bar Service animal dog tag for | Etsy

I was also thinking that I could attach a blue and red ribbon charm (the symbol for congenital cardiac defects, my unit's specialty) to the split ring, although I'm a bit worried that if the charm and tag jangle together I may hear it through the tubing.

I'm feeling pretty pumped about this idea, guys. Thoughts?

Check with more engraving providers -- I got a stethoscope engraved as a gift for a friend years ago, and the store that did the engraving said nothing about needing a flat surface. They engraved the metal tubing without any issues, and it came out looking great. I think it was a "Things Remembered" store that I went to.

Whether you get it engraved or not, keep that thing on your person while at work. I had mine tagged with my name and cell phone number on it, left it in our documentation room when I ran to tend to a new admit. I transferred them to the bed, got vitals, and went through the screens on the computer to fill out their meds and history before it would get to the assessment screen. About 20 minutes later I returned to the room where I left my scope but it was gone. The name tag was obvious and it was never returned. Cost almost $100 to replace.

Another nurse had one in pastel pink with a red allergy band on it with her name and contact info. I doubt anyone would accidentally walk off with that one.

Check with more engraving providers -- I got a stethoscope engraved as a gift for a friend years ago, and the store that did the engraving said nothing about needing a flat surface. They engraved the metal tubing without any issues, and it came out looking great. I think it was a "Things Remembered" store that I went to.

Great suggestion. I may just have to shop around to find a place that will do it; the place closest to my house said they'd had too much trouble with 'non-flat' items slipping in the engraving machine since they can't get as good of a grip, which is why they don't do stethoscopes anymore. Perhaps I'll have better luck at other places.

Whether you get it engraved or not, keep that thing on your person while at work. I had mine tagged with my name and cell phone number on it, left it in our documentation room when I ran to tend to a new admit. I transferred them to the bed, got vitals, and went through the screens on the computer to fill out their meds and history before it would get to the assessment screen. About 20 minutes later I returned to the room where I left my scope but it was gone. The name tag was obvious and it was never returned. Cost almost $100 to replace.

I don't know what it is, but my unit is so good about not stealing/walking off with scopes. A bunch of people leave theirs just hanging in the break room, and I have a friend who has left her Littmann Master Cardiology plus pediatric attachment (a $250 scope) sitting out on a cart in the hallway for over a week and nobody touched it. As a peds cardiac unit, most of our kids have been on 'open chest' precautions at some point which means there's a disposable scope at nearly every bedside, so providers who need to borrow one tend to walk away with those by accident instead of nurses' stethoscopes. Ironically my scope is one of the highest quality, most expensive money can buy (around $350 retail with pediatric attachment, although I got it second-hand for about $100 bucks), but since it isn't as popular/recognizable as a Littmann people assume it's a piece of junk (which works well from a theft perspective). I'm still extra-cautious and keep it in my pocket at all times, but I feel fortunate to work on a relatively 'low-theft' unit.

Accolay, that's a very clever idea! I use the 'find my iphone' function all of the time when I lose my phone. However, even if I figured out that somebody had taken it, I wouldn't really have a way to contact that person about it (i.e. if it's in someone's car/house, I couldn't just show up to their house looking for it, lol). It's something to consider, though.

I mean, technically you *could* just show up and ask about it, but probably not suggested. Lol. However, if it were like the pp, where you literally left it 10/20 minutes ago, whoever took it would probably still be in the building and you could just stay nice about it (even if you think they were trying to run off with it, vs an accident/emergency use).

The Welch Allyns come with or you can purchase a tag that snaps on to the plastic bridge between the two lumen. (I have the Elite) It even has a metal plate which can be engraved. You could argue that it's not permanent, but a drop of super glue and it's not unsnapping.

+ Add a Comment