Hep B series ??

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

Specializes in Emergency / Disaster.

So now I know what a toddler feels like after they get all their shots in one day. I haven't had any vaccines that I know of since high school (cough cough 20+ years ago) and I have no records, so I went and they got me started. Today I received 4 vaccines and a flu shot and she drew blood for 2 titers.

My only problem is my school paperwork says that I need the HepB series (and a titer 4-8 weeks later) before starting school. I was also told that "we accept people in late December and still get them cleared through" so I don't want to be a nervous nelly and keep asking questions.

I have orientation on Nov 9 and I'm sure I can get this all cleared up then - but I'd just like some reassurance in the mean time...

I got shot #1 in the Hep B series today. I have appointments scheduled in December and April for the remaining shots (which is too late for school). My doctor today said that she looked on the CDC site and didn't see anything about a rapid schedule for the series - which is super scary because a quick Dr. Google search presents info directly from the CDC on what the rapid schedule is.

Will there be a problem with me waiting until Nov 9 to get the other 2 shots in the series in rapid succession and then the titer, or should I go ahead and call the immunization people again to ask them how to proceed? Should I go find another doctor or just wait patiently until I meet with the school in a month?

I don't want to be that pesky student even before I'm totally enrolled - oh that's part of the problem. Until orientation, I'm not technically a student, so I can't go to the school to finish the series until after they officially admit us (which could be sometime in November/December - they are a little vague on this).

Just call the school to see if April is OK. Trust me, you are not the first student to not have it done before school starts.

Specializes in mental health / psychiatic nursing.

Just check with the school. Most of the time if they want a series, then you have to have the 1st injection before the program starts, but as long as you have a plan to get the next injections done and complete them in timely fashion you are fine. At least that is the way my school handled it.

Yeah, I would just call and ask. They're used to students calling for clarification on things. As long as you aren't calling every other day, I don't think they'll care.

Plus, for all you know, the school might not take a rapid schedule for the Hep B.

For mine, you just have to start the series by a certain date.

Specializes in Emergency / Disaster.

Thanks all!! As soon as the school re-opens I'll give them a shout.

+ Add a Comment