Coming in late with a weird question

Specialties School

Published

Hey gang - It's been a heck of a month. I'm still not dug out yet and the precious few minutes that I did have to take a breather were spent focusing on working on papers for my masters. No joke there. Anyway.

Has Anyone ever dealt with children of parents that claim they are sovereign citizens? I have that going on right now and while it seems they are giving the main office more issues than they are giving me, I can see where the issues are going to come in. I still have a license to protect and I still have a procedure to follow, despite how you may live your life. Anyone have any input?

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

I want to get some popcorn and follow this. Please let us know...

We have all had those pot-stirring parents, right? This is just a different flavor. Good luck!

I heard a podcast featuring a young lady whose parents kept her completely off the grid. She ran away as a 17 or 18 year old. She is not in a huge mess because she had virtually no records of her existence. Her parents never sent her to school, almost no doctor visits. She is truly undocumented. At least Dreamers tend to have some documents from their country of origin. She can't get a driver's license, can't vote, basically has no way to prove her citizenship. And, she's in Texas, where there is extreme concern about proper documentation. All her representatives have said they can't help her, she can't prove her citizenship (i.e. she's not a voter, not a concern). Her parents might could help by providing documentation or at least attestation about her birth circumstances but they are estranged since she ran away not being in agreement with their "sovereign citizen" stand.

Here's a link to the podcast page, Radiolab (I love their stuff). Great information if you are dealing with sovereign citizen stuff.

The Girl Who Doesn't Exist | Radiolab | WNYC Studios

I listened and unfortunately, this poor girl's story only serves to illustrate the sovereigns' points about big government. Clearly, she exists. She was standing right in front of them. It's a travesty that her parents' bad decisions are impacting her to this extent. She has enough to contend with just navigating what must seem like an alien world and processing her feelings about separating from her family. I understand that it is necessary to keep some form of record just to avoid descending into chaos, but come on! A little common sense, please.

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

That sounds like every parent I get in my school who want to argue about things.

+ Add a Comment