New Grad Age 60 Can't Land a Job

Nurses Nurse Beth

Published

Dear Nurse Beth,

I have written to you before regarding ageism. I earned my BSN about 2 years ago and still do not have a job as a nurse. I am now ACLS cert. and was advised that may help. I was looking to start any job as a Nurse Residency. It is now obvious that my nursing degree and career will not be fulfilled. What career advice do you have for me at this point? I am about to turn 60. By the way, I think you were using my story in one of your books. Was wondering how that all worked out. Thank you.

Dear Age 60,

It may be harder to land a job at your age, but at age 60 you still have a lot to offer. Ageism is alive and well, but there are probably factors at play other than age if you have not landed a job after 2 years. It could be that your resume and cover letter need improvement to catch a recruiter's eye.

It's true you will not be eligible for most residencies at the 2-year mark. It may be that you need to broaden your search. Have you applied to dialysis, sub-acute care, even Corrections? If you are able to relocate, some areas have a greater need for nurses than others. The most important thing for you now is to land your first job- not your dream job. Have you activated your network, meaning contacted classmates who are working, and let them know you are looking for a job? Register on Indeed.com

Thanks for asking about my book (below), it's been more of a success than I imagined and I love hearing when it helps job seekers.

Don't give up. Persistence pays off. Call up that determination you showed when you got through nursing school :)

Best wishes,

Nurse Beth

Author, "Your Last Nursing Class: How to Land Your First Nursing Job"...and your next!

I'm older...got my BSN at 54 and now I'm 58 and thinking about getting a masters! I'm a psychiatric nurse. I've also worked in the OR and assisted living/memory care...As a CNA I worked with the elderly and at a psychiatric hospital...I knew in school I never wanted to be a bedside nurse. I get jobs in my inbox and text messages daily from indeed, recruiters and the state. What about school nursing, doctors office, wellness nurse, addiction medicine (methadone clinic), flu shot clinic, home health, or hospice. Hang in there and good luck!

First, they don't ask your age but they do ask your birth date. So I'm sure they are bright enough to figure out your age. Second, you can get information on anyone, including age, addresses, relatives, jobs, friends, financial info, and so much more, in about 2 minutes via online. Nothing is private.

Specializes in ARNP.

I just completed my ADN and could pick my job at any of the area hospitals. I am 55. I appear younger than that but am clearly not young, no problems here! What geographical area are you in?

Specializes in ARNP.

Thats a good idea... on my resume I did not list all jobs, only the past 3 jobs (all were several years) and also did not list any dates unless asked.

I went to nursing school at age 56. I really wasn't too sure how tough it would be after being out of school for 40 years. I chose LPN....knowing that I could do anything for a year. I ended up 2Nd in my class! Woot Woot! My point is you can do what ever you chose to do! It also depends on if you have to take out loans , have to work full time while going to school, (I did both), or are independently wealthy. What ever you choose, Good Luck! Enjoy! And don't forget to laugh along the way!

+ Add a Comment