Severe Depression/Anxiety

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hello all, I was looking for some advice from someone who may have gone through a similar situation as me.

I am 24 years old, have been an RN for just over 2 years now. I started off my job with severe anxiety, but chalked it up to being new and that it would get better. Well, now it's been 2 years and it's honestly only gotten worse, because now I have no hope of it getting better.

I hate the pressures of being a bedside nurse, I have panic attacks before work and cry nearly every single day. I moved from ICU to NICU thinking it would be better, because at least I would see more positive impact in patient's lives and seeing them progress. But honestly the anxiety is just worse because I am MORE connected to my patients. I just am so fearful of hurting someone. Not to mention the unit I got hired on is CHAOTIC and has the sickest babies in the metroplex.

Should i just give up bedside? Or is it still too soon? My personal life is great, so it's not that. I see therapists and have been on antidepressants, but they only help temporarily.

Sadly I have a 2 year contract with the hospital system I'm with, so I feel so stuck and hopeless. Its gotten so bad that I've considered just ending t all at times.

Any words of wisdom would be so appreciated by me. Thank you guys in advance.

Thank you all for being so kind and caring, you all have helped a lot. I've scheduled a physical with my doctor to make sure it isn't something physical that can be helped with supplements, etc. I've also spoken with my therapist and we are going to come up with ideas.

what about switching to med surg or a clinic job within the system? I feel what you are feeling, but I only got a couple of months under my belt. I am looking into other opportunities (though it would mean leaving my first job before a year) because I need to take care of myself. Or even part time hours so you can have more time to take care of yourself- if you are financially able to swing it.

Specializes in PICU.

Please take care. Jobs are great, but should not make you feel like the symptoms you described. I am glad you talked to your PCP and therapist.

Take care and wishing you the best

Specializes in SICU, trauma, neuro.

Hugs!! Is switching to a lower acuity area an option? I imagine NICU nursing to be a special level of stress... my goodness, an unstable adult can be scary... but a human being you can hold in one hand?? Thank God for those who love it... but i's the stuff of my nightmares.

And then terrified/stressed/sometimes jerk parents who become Mama bears... or even just distraught?

I don't blame you for being stressed..... especially if you struggle with your mental health anyway.

I DEFINITELY don't think this means you aren't cut out for the bedside. I started in the ICU about 1.5 years into my career.... and in hindsight I probably wasn't ready. It takes a good year or two to be really competent. Sure some nurses do ok or even well... but if you struggle with critical care learning while just trying to master the basics, I would say you are normal and don't need to feel shame.

+ Add a Comment