Return to school after vomiting

Specialties School

Published

I'm curious what everyone's policy is on when a student can return to school after vomiting or diarrhea?

Last year was my first year, the other nurses told me it was 24hrs for fever, vomiting, and/or diarrhea. Apparently, that is what the prior nurse had done as well.

But, that isn't what our district policy states. It's 24hrs fever free without medication, but 12hrs for nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. So, I'm going with that... but I'm not sure it's the best policy. I can't find a rational for 12hrs, but a quick Google search shows recommendations ranging from 24hrs to 2 days. Isn't 12hrs too short to prevent the spread of gastro viruses?

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

24 hrs for everything.

Specializes in Med-surg, school nursing..

We have no fever/vomit/diarrhea free policy. Drives me nuts.

Specializes in School nursing.
We have no fever/vomit/diarrhea free policy. Drives me nuts.

Ewww.

Diarrhea happens. Sometimes a few times and resolves, especially for folks that might be lactose intolerant. I'd be keeping home so. many. kids. because they ate cheese when they probably shouldn't.

I'm a little flexible with this for vomiting. If they ate dinner and were fine, slept well and ate breakfast this morning being fine, I'm ok with them being at school but if they haven't eaten at least twice since the last vomiting without a problem then I'm not ready to have them back. You can't just wake up, barely eat a little soup and come on down to school but if you ate a burger last night and waffles this morning and are fine, you're probable good for school. Fever is 24 hours.

+ Add a Comment