Nurse Suicide is Real: 3 Ways to Help

In honor of National Suicide Prevention Week, let's discuss the lack of statistics on nurse suicide. And, a few ways you can help keep your co-workers safe. Nurses Announcements Archive

Published

"The Power of Connection," is the theme of the National Suicide Prevention Week, which runs from September 9th -15th. Many organizations and professionals are working diligently this week to ensure that connections are in place for patients and others who struggle with depression, anxiety, or other mental health illnesses that place them at a higher risk of suicidal ideation.

But, for nurses, there's a different sort of connection we should be discussing. It seems in recent years, there's been anecdotal information connecting the risk of nurse suicide to burnout and job stress. The word anecdotal is used because if you search for current data on this connection, you will find limited information. Yet, you can see this data for other service-focused professionals, such as physicians, educators, and police.

Let's discuss available statistics, anecdotal information, and a few ways nurse leaders and healthcare systems can work to prevent this deadly occurrence from happening on your unit.

Anecdotes and Data

According to a May 2018 Medscape Nurses article, it's estimated that one physician commits suicide each day in the United States. This statistic makes physician suicide two times higher than the general population. The Ruderman Family Foundation reported earlier this year that police and firefighters are more likely to die by suicide than in the line of duty. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and depression rates are up to 5 times higher for these civil servants - both of which are known risk factors for suicide and other forms of self-harm.

For nurses, the stressors of patient care, long shifts, and incredible professional demands can be much to bear. One study done conducted in England and discussed in a Nurse.org article contends that nurses are 23% more likely to commit suicide than women in general. But, it's difficult to find similar statistics about nurses in the U.S.

You might find stories about nurses who struggled with workplace stress and bullying who turned to self-harm. One such story, recently covered in the New York Post was about Rhian Collins, a nurse who committed suicide earlier this year. Investigators determined that the decision to end her life was related to trouble with co-workers that's been classified as "bullying." And, a recent article in Oncology Nursing News further supports the claim that nurse suicide is a silent problem, even here in the U.S.

What Can We Do To Help

Whether you are a staff nurse, manager, or hospital administrator - you can help prevent nurse suicide. Here are three things that you can do to help the nurses in your workplace.

Know the Risk Factors

As nurses, we often think that we have good instincts about these types of problems. And, while you might when it comes to your patients - when you work side by side with someone, it can be easy to overlook subtle signs of impending problems. The Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides this list of risk factors. This list includes characteristics that might put someone at a higher chance of considering, attempting, or dying from suicide.

Risk Factors for Suicide

• Mental health diseases
    • Personality disorders
    • Mood disorders
    • Anxiety disorders
    • Schizophrenia
    • Hopelessness
  • Hopelessness
  • History of abuse or trauma
  • Previous suicide attempt
  • Loss of job or finances
  • Family history of suicide
  • Major physical illnesses
  • Behaviors such as impulsivity or aggression
  • Substance abuse disorders, such as alcohol, drugs, or other substances
  • Ease of access to lethal means
  • Feelings of isolation or true lack of social support
  • Lack of access to physical and mental health services
  • Exposure to other suicide victims
  • Religious or cultural beliefs that hold suicide as a noble resolution
  • Fear or stigma related to asking for help
  • Occurrence of multiple suicides in a cluster (geography or social group)
  • Loss of relationships

Along with risk factors, you must know the warning signs of suicide. Recognizing these signs in a co-worker would require a call to the Lifeline Suicide Hotline (number below) or other emergency services.

Warning Signs

• Looking for a way to kill themselves - searching online or purchasing weapons
  • Talking about unbearable pain or feeling trapped
  • Increasing the use of drugs or alcohol
  • Sleeping too much or too little
  • Exhibiting rage or attempting to seek revenge
  • Severe mood swings
  • Isolating or withdrawing themselves from others
  • Reckless behaviors, agitation, or anxiety
  • Expressing feelings of being a burden to others
  • Expressing feelings of having no reason to live or feeling hopeless
  • Talking about wanting to kill themselves or die

Offer Screening

As more emphasis is placed on this issue, hospitals and other facilities that employ nurses should offer screenings for suicide risks and other mental health services. Screenings should be routine and also provided after particularly stressful events, such as deaths or large tragedies. Many employers also offer employee assistance programs that allow staff to seek mental health counseling during times of need free of charge.

Suicide that occurs after stressful events is referred to as second-victim fallout. Particular attention should be given to staff who care for patients who die after a tragedy, accidents, or due to medical errors. This can place the nurse at high risk of depression, extreme sadness, and suicidal ideation or attempts.

As a nurse manager, having an open-door policy can help staff feel comfortable to express concerns or problems they may be experiencing from workplace stress. Remain open to how your staff feel, listen to their concerns and try not to judge or put down how someone might be feeling. If a staff member has a lot of stress going on either in their personal and professional life, offer resources such as a chaplain or employee assistance program, if available.

Be Prepared

With all of the violent crimes in our society these days, we rush to preparedness plans for physical safety from events. But, we must create preparedness plans for the mental health needs of our staff.

Talk about these issues openly during meetings. Publish information on your hospital blogs or in newsletters about the support offered by your facility. And most importantly, be kind to others. If you notice a change in a co-worker or staff member's behavior that is concerning according to the risk factors or warning signs listed above - talk to them. Even if they don't want to talk at that time, let them know you are there if they need to talk later and tell them that you care about them and want them to be safe.

If you or someone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts, you can get help by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 27/7 at 1-800-273-TALK. You can also chat with a counselor online by visiting their website. They will help connect you with local resources.

Specializes in LTC & Teaching.
I just loved your article. During my last nursing job, I heard of only three nurses, whom I new personally, who took their own lives. They were all young, vibrant, fairly new nurses. 2 had left families with children behind. I could not phantom what the families went through, nor do I want to. I felt numb when I was told, other were like, "O well, they couldn' Take the heat', or "more overtime for me now". It amazes me how people can be so cold, so cruel over death. These were people we worked with, walked the halls with getting or giving report to. They were our co-workers, our friends, Nurses need to show respect to the dead nurses, just like we do to our patients.

Thank you

My condolences on the loss of your co-workers. It is very sad to see the comments from your other co-workers. Unfortunately far too many Nurses become cold and calloused over time. It's their way of coping and surviving, which I do not agree with.

This may not sound appropriate to your post, but the best way that I've learned to cope with the ongoing stresses of nursing is humor. I learned that I would rather joke around with my fellow co-workers as opposed to taking my frustrations out on them, which is not good for anyone. However, with humor (as long as it's done appropriately) benefits everyone.

I'll be honest in stating that I would often get my self in trouble with the powers that be with my warped sense of humor. Yet my argument was always the same when I used humor with the seniors I cared for who had varying degrees of dementia. I indicated that I would rather see these residents expend their frustration and anxiety by laughing as opposed to hitting staff or other residents. In addition I would much rather administer effective humor as opposed to drugging the residents up with anti-psychotic medication.

Nurses need to laugh a hell of a lot more than what they do and it all boils down to attitude. For example when ever I spoke to people about working on a floor with residents having varying degrees of dementia, I used to tell them that most people pay big money to see and here the kinds of things I witness all the time. Here I get paid to witness/experience it.

Nurses can often get extremely frustrated by dealing with challenging family members as well. I'll quickly mention a true story that I posted on this site a few years ago:

While doing my 17:00 medication pass I noticed that a family member was watching me quite closely. He eventually asked if he could ask me a question. I said sure. He asked, "How can you be a male Nurse doing this kind of job?" With out missing a beat I responded, "I tried being a female Nurse, but it didn't work." He never ever asked me another question after that.

In short, Nurses need to try and lighten up with each other and themselves.

Specializes in Workforce Development, Education, Advancement.

Truth66 - Love this! Humor is a great way to cope. I love to laugh and play around, so humor is my go-to for stressful situations too. Of course, you do have to make sure the person you're joking with is up for the humor too. :)

Melissa

Hi NGONZO! So glad you enjoyed the article. It's so sad to hear of young nurses dealing with so much stress that they would commit suicide. Some of the comments you mentioned are inappropriate and shouldn't have been tolerated. It's a sad world we live in some days.

Melissa

Specializes in kids.

Thank you for this informative and thought-provoking article.

As a profession, we need to learn from others. The fire and police services are actively working and promoting self-care, recognition of the toll stress takes on the body and spirit. We had a Fire Chief who is activly involved at the state level and national level, come to a conference. It was eye opening to say the least!. Lots of great feedback on her information on self care, stress reduction, debriefing as needed etc. I had a friend (RN) who commited suicide a number of years ago. The fallout is exponential. I wonder if increased knowledge would have made a difference to her?

Specializes in LTC & Teaching.

As a profession, we need to learn from others. The fire and police services are actively working and promoting self-care, recognition of the toll stress takes on the body and spirit. We had a Fire Chief who is activly involved at the state level and national level, come to a conference. It was eye opening to say the least!. Lots of great feedback on her information on self care, stress reduction, debriefing as needed etc. I had a friend (RN) who commited suicide a number of years ago. The fallout is exponential. I wonder if increased knowledge would have made a difference to her?

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Nutmegah - So sorry for the loss of your friend. You raise excellent points that as a profession we need to start advocating for self-care and other ways to remain healthy, given the stress and dangers of nursing. I know nothing will bring your friend back now, but hopefully, we could help others in the future.

Melissa

Specializes in kids.
My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Thank you...I had seen her the week before and we had a great catch up chat...who knew?

Specializes in Orthopedics.

Based on what I read about Rhian Collins, it seemed like she had body image issues that were compounded by bullying/lateral aggression at work. That New York Post article brought a great deal of attention to the issue of nurse suicide. She had what looked like a great support system in the form of her fiance. It's not really clear whether she had an existing mental illness or any body image issues before she started the job which is being blamed for her suicide.

Workplace violence is a very real threat to the safety of nurses. I think people are more aware about patients assaulting nurses, and less so about bullying or verbal abuse from other members of the healthcare team. I hope that changes. For me, abuse would hurt more coming from co-workers than patients. Patient experiences can be inconsistent. Sometimes patients aren't oriented. Sometimes they need an outlet for their frustration and perceived lack of control. I am not saying that I expect patients to be violent, but it is within the realm of possibility for the reasons I named previously. However, with co-workers, I would like to think I know what to expect. I want to be able to expect my co-workers to have my back.

Bullying in nursing isn't talked about enough, and even for someone who does not have any mental issues prior to starting a career, it could bring out latent insecurities. Thank you for writing the article and helping bring more attention to the matter.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.
Great reply.

I have been a nurse for more than 30 years, and seen the changes in the healthcare system over that amount of time. The fact that ANYONE would tolerate a nurse being assaulted--or any staff member, for that matter--is deplorable. When a patient assaults a nurse, the nurse is told not to call police to file a complaint, the nurse is told not to say anything to anybody about it--especially the media!!!--and are questioned as if they are the reason for the assault. The questions "What did you do to escalate the situation?" and "What did you do to try to deescalate the situation?" are absurd. A nurse isn't permitted to defend themselves or fight back. And, to top it all off, the patient responsible for assaulting the nurse isn't thrown out of the hospital, is not reported to the police & continues to receive treatment. Their "mental health" is always called into question, even if they're not in the hospital with a mental health problem.

If a person was assaulted on the street, the first thing they'd do is call the police. Why isn't that the first thing a nurse does if they are assaulted on the job? For some reason, people feel that "abuse" comes with the territory of nursing, or any other healthcare job, and if you can't handle it, find another job. The fact that administration is more concerned with keeping it quiet to limit its own liability & not have the public wonder about the safety in the facility is unacceptable.

I can tell you one thing--I would be damned if anyone would prevent me from defending myself/fighting back, calling the police to report the assault or speaking to the media about it. If they want to fire me, go ahead---but they had better lawyer themselves up to defend against the massive lawsuit I would file against them.

Amen, and hallelujah to that!!!

+ Add a Comment