Med admin window

Specialties School

Published

***ADMINS: NO FACEBOOK PLEASE***

Hey all! Got myself a "situation" that I'd love some guidance on :)

I have a student who has medication scheduled for 1130 and 2. Mom is a teacher and works on campus (yay!). We've been back to school for a grand total of 5 days and everyday mom has tried to "tweak" his med schedule so that it lines up better for what she wants it to. Long story short, she doesn't want his med to wear off before football practice is over in the evening :cautious:

My questions are...

1) what is your med admin window? In the hospital we had 1.5 hours on either side of a med before it was considered late or early. Realistically, that can't be applied in a school setting so I tend to stick to 15-30 mins on either side. Lately he's tried to come as early at 10:45 for his 11:30 med. I'll send him back to class and then his mom will send him back to me within 10 mins. :banghead:

2) how close to dismissal do you administer scheduled meds? My school releases at 2:15 and the student goes to the afterschool program that we have. It's kind of a different situation as we have teachers that work for our school who run it, but the program itself is not technically part of the school so training the afterschool staff to administer the med isn't an option. I've told mom this. This student's meds are scheduled for 2 pm per MD orders. Mom wants me to give them at 2:30 but school dismisses at 2:15 so...

Poor kid is super confused on when he's supposed to take his meds. I'm telling him one thing. Mom is telling him another. And I can't seem to get her to understand that I can't just give meds whenever she wants me to....

Specializes in Nursing Informatics, Med-Surg, ICU.

I've never been a school nurse, but as someone who reviews policies and regulations as part of my current job, I recommend that you review your school (or district's) policies about the medication administration window (and medication administration in general). In the hospital setting, there are written policies which are reviewed and approved by clinical/institutional leaders and even committees, that specify whether the med admin window is 1 hour or 1.5 hours, etc. It may be possible that your current situation already has a policy outlining what you would need to do. If not, it may be a good idea to have one, not just for yourself but for any other nurse who may be in your role.

I guess it really depends on what the medications are. Then I agree with other posters to have a the doctor cut a new scrip. May be it's set at certain times for a reason. To answer your timing issue, I've always worked with one hour before and after, except for insulin.

Specializes in Telemetry, Gastroenterology, School Nrs.

I think my question is, why isn't mom administering it if she is the one sending him to the office to receive it?

As far as timing, I agree with OldDude, get a written order from the physician for specific timing. If the final dose is to be administered at 2:30, after your work day is over, then Mom should give it.

if the med is to be given after dismissal, "not my circus, not my monkeys"

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

If the football coach/athletic trainers are comfy with it...can you delegate? Or just flat out say that 1430 is beyond the bell for you? Good luck!

+ Add a Comment