Happy and scared at the same time!

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Hi all,

Well I finally landed a nursing job in a very large hospital in the city, and I am just really apprehensive and nervous. Nervous about the commute and whether I will fit in ok, and whether I will be good at the job. I am leaving the ambulance, which I have worked on for the last 20 years, so that has become my "comfort zone". I am leaving a lot of seniority behind to be the "new person".

Unfortunately, as much as I truly LOVE the ambulance my back and joints cannot handle it anymore. Last week I had debilitating back pain for several days, with continued pain that has been just enough to be annoying, and that was my true wake up call. Thankfully I already had this job in the pipeline and just heard yesterday that they were hiring me. The bonus to this job is there will be minimal lifting involved and it's all pediatric patents (which I love).

Has anyone else felt totally afraid and apprehensive about giving up a job you are totally comfortable with and all the perks that go along with having seniority for a completely different setting and job?

Annie

I have started over several times, had similar anxieties.

Every new job turned out to be a great learning experience, with a bonus of some new friends.

Congratulations on your new position. Never let 'em see you sweat.

Best wishes, let us know how it's going.

Specializes in Community Health, Med/Surg, ICU Stepdown.

I don't know you in person of course but all of your posts that I have read on this site are very thoughtful, intelligent and encouraging. If I were your new coworker I'd be excited to have you on my team! It sounds like you have a lot of valuable experience and will be able to contribute a lot to your new unit. 2 years ago I left the clinic that I worked at 10 minutes from my home for a hospital job about 40 minutes away in a more rural and conservative area. I was SO nervous about transitioning to inpatient nursing as well as the commute and fitting in as an LGBT person in this town. 2 years later I love my unit and my coworkers and I even have a carpool buddy! I really hope your experience goes as mine did and I wish you the best. I hope you post again after starting the job and give an update!

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Hi Libra,

Thank you for sharing your own experience, it did help give me some hope that it is gonna be ok... I am probably nervous for nothing, I know.

Annie

+ Add a Comment