Help! MSN or DNP to become an NP?

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

1. Should I go for an MSN or a DNP in order to become an FNP?

MSN
      DNP

Hi everyone,

I am an aspiring FNP with a bachelors and masters in biology, have worked in various health-related roles from research to public health to patient care, and now would love love love to get started finally on my nursing career. Today I spent time calling a bunch of programs with various tracks to help me become an FNP, and now I wonder: after I become an RN and work for a bit, should I next get my MSN or DNP?

Many admissions folks I talked to today insisted that in the next 5-6 years, the DNP will be required in order to become an NP. They said that if I go to a program that will allow me to become an NP after only an MSN, I may have to return to school to complete a DNP in the end anyway, causing me a financial and time loss when I could have just gotten a DNP to begin with. They say that NPs with DNPs may get paid more too, and that if I just get an MSN, then obviously I will be at a disadvantage when I compete for jobs against others with a DNP.

I know that school admins can be interested in bringing in $$$ to their school, so I'm hesitant to take their advice on this issue right off the bat, so I turn to you. So here my questions. Keep in mind that I only want to do patient care as an FNP right now and am not interested in admin or education or any of that stuff:

1. Do you really think that the DNP will be required in the next 5-6 years to practice as an FNP? If I end up practicing as an FNP with an MSN before this is a rule, would I just get grandfathered in, or would I be required to return to school to get my DNP?

2. Currently, do DNPs really get paid more than those with an MSN for the role of being an FNP?

3. Do folks with a DNP really have an edge in the job market against those with an MSN, for FNP roles?

4. Do you think financially and time-wise and just in general, it is smarter to go the DNP route or MSN route to become an FNP?

Thank you so much for reading this far and help to ease my confusion and stress by replying!

+ Add a Comment