Choking infant - Don't look in mouth at all?

Nursing Students NCLEX

Published

I'm studying for the NCLEX-RN test. I've had multiple practice questions involving infants who are choking and I'm not answering them correctly. I know that "blind finger sweeps" are not to be done. I know that back blows and finger thrusts are used to dislodge objects. But are we not supposed to look in the patient's mouth at all to "visualize" the object? If I were to look in the infant's mouth, see one end of a hot dog piece or a toy and try to grab it and remove it, is this incorrect? I'm having a hard time with this concept. I think that I may have been trained to do this in a previous CPR course in the past and I'm having a hard time skipping the step of looking in the infant's mouth.

Can anyone help me understand this situation?

Also: "Clearing" the airway apparently means head tilt and jaw thrust type maneuvers not looking in the mouth for a foreign object?

I took AHA CPR for healthcare workers a week ago. We were taught it was ok to remove a visualized object, just not to do a blind finger sweep. Is your victim unconscious in the questions you're missing? As I recall, we're only instructed to look in the mouth after the loss of consciousness.

From the Relief of FBAO section of the 2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care Science Pediatric Basic Life Support

[...]

If the victim becomes unresponsive, start CPR with chest compressions (do not perform a pulse check). After 30 chest compressions, open the airway. If you see a foreign body, remove it but do not perform blind finger sweeps because they may push obstructing objects farther into the pharynx and may damage the oropharynx. Attempt to give 2 breaths and continue with cycles of chest compressions and ventilations until the object is expelled. After 2 minutes, if no one has already done so, activate the emergency response system.

[...][/Quote]

+ Add a Comment