Can you take phentermine during a nursing shift?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I have been prescribed phentermine for weight loss. I am still in school and they do not let us take any mind-altering substances during clinical such Adderall, phentermine, etc because it may affect our critical thinking throughout the day. My question is, once I become an RN will I be Allowed to take phentermine before a shift? It doesn't alter my mind that much, just gives me energy that I'm sure I'll need and it makes me much more confident. But I definitely do not want to do anything to put my job or my patients' lives in jeopardy.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.
The effects the OP feels almost sounds like those of cocaine.

Sorry I'm serial posting. That's exactly how phentermine feels for most people who take it.

For a lot of people, phentermine has the same effects as cocaine. Burst of energy, feeling happy and euphoric, as the OP described.

If that's the case I don't ever want to be prescribed that. I'm not familiar with phentermine, is it also addictive?

If that's the case I don't ever want to be prescribed that. I'm not familiar with phentermine, is it also addictive?

Not in my experience (I took it for 6 months a few years ago, also prescribed for weight loss). I did notice that I developed a tolerance to it, and it didn't have the same effects after I had been taking it awhile. When my prescription ran out, it's not like I had cravings or anything. I did gain the weight back, though. Which is why it's kind of a ****** option for weight loss, because it's dependent upon you continuing to take it for it to work.

I have never EVER used it in a clinical setting, so no worries. I do Take it because I'm overweight. It just happens to make me feel euphoric at the same time. I for sure would not call myself addicted

I have never EVER used it in a clinical setting, so no worries. I do Take it because I'm overweight. It just happens to make me feel euphoric at the same time. I for sure would not call myself addicted

What's your plan for losing weight/maintaining weight loss after 3 or 6 months, when you no longer have a prescription?

It is not a sustainable way to lose weight.

Specializes in Critical Care and ED.

I'm in grad school and I am currently arranging my next clinical placement. I was just issued an announcement yesterday which I found quite concerning:

Use of drugs, prescribed or otherwise, may create a risk of being denied a clinical placement. This includes, but is not limited to, prescribed medical marijuana or opiates. If you have concerns about prescribed medications, please reach out to your healthcare provider.

This means that even if you have a prescribed medication and are legally entitled to use it, the facility where you work will have the final say. This has meant I have had to stop the medication I was on just so I can do my clinical placement.

+ Add a Comment