MD vs DO

Nurses General Nursing

Published

What's the difference between an MD and a DO? I have always wondered if one requires more study and more time than the other? Does anyone know?

Doctor Mike made a video explaining the difference

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice.

DOs are doctors of osteopathy, and MDs are medical doctors. They are equal in scope. They spend the same amount of time in med school and pass the same exams.

Osteopathy is not pseudoscience. Many DOs do not practice osteopathy, but they do get trained in it.

Specializes in Certified Vampire and Part-time Nursing Student.

Just commenting to say, MD and DO are both doctors, have equivalent scope of practice for their specialties.

The main difference is that DO's are trained in and can bill for osteopathic manipulation (like the lymphatic pump), which is not pseudoscience or homeopathy, it actually works.

I've been told that DO's are encouraged in school to first give people non-prescription solutions for their problems before they prescribe, if possible. 'Help the body heal itself' basically. They may try things such as natural remedies, NOT HOMEOPATHY, things with actual scientific evidence behind it, basically try things that worked as medicine before we started in our modern day to isolate the main chemical compound out of 'X' food and put it in a pill. So if someone comes in for something mild they might recommend adding a certain food, a change in diet, or lifestyle choices whereas maybe an MD would just immediately write them a script.

Basically, they are schooled in everything a modern MD can do, + the best and still useful past medicinal remedies, + osteopathic manipulation.

Specializes in Med-Tele; ED; ICU.
I've been told that DO's are encouraged in school to first give people non-prescription solutions for their problems before they prescribe, if possible. 'Help the body heal itself' basically. They may try things such as natural remedies, NOT HOMEOPATHY, things with actual scientific evidence behind it, basically try things that worked as medicine before we started in our modern day to isolate the main chemical compound out of 'X' food and put it in a pill. So if someone comes in for something mild they might recommend adding a certain food, a change in diet, or lifestyle choices whereas maybe an MD would just immediately write them a script.

To be fair, there are plenty of allopathic physicians (MDs) in the field of integrative medicine doing precisely the same thing.

both are physicians. different schools, but more and more similarities in terms of boards and residencies. Pretty soon they will probably be exactly the same (boards and residencies), as it is a DO can do an MD residency.

Specializes in orthopedic/trauma, Informatics, diabetes.

We have both on our ortho floor. I personally love osteopaths. They are, many time, more holistic. Depends on the setting. I once had one that did manipulations and helped with some back issues I have. Could not find a decent chiro here. he was so good, they overscheduled him and he left :( HUGE loss to the practice.

Specializes in Critical Care.

It is a great question to seek out by visiting osteopathic.org, where many of those types of questions are answered. At the most basic, is is a difference in osteopathic vs allopathic (though this term is often seen as derogatory by some MDs) school of thought. Osteopaths are trained from the outset in a model much more similar to the nursing model, which involves treatment of the whole person in addressing a health issue, rather than treatment of the specific ailment.

In my ED there are two osteopaths, a majority of allopaths, but also a PA that went through a program at an osteopathic medical school. It is interesting that she has some of the same tendencies as the DOs on account of the culture of the school.

As previously mentioned, there are good and bad DOs, just as there are MDs. I have always had good professional and personal experiences with the DOs I know, and I know many on account of my spouse being a DO.

Specializes in LTC, CPR instructor, First aid instructor..
In the academic medical centers in which I've worked over the years, MDs and DOs worked side by side in residencies and as attendings, and you couldn't really tell a difference until you saw the letters after their names.
i never could either. That's why I'm curious about the difference between them.
Specializes in LTC, CPR instructor, First aid instructor..
Doctor Mike made a video explaining the difference

Thank you Half B. Now my curiosity has been satisfied.
+ Add a Comment