Stomach problems in nursing school?

Nursing Students Student Assist

Published

Hello everyone. I am 21 years old and I got accepted into a nursing program which I start this fall 2018. I was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) my senior year of high school and I changed my mind of becoming a nurse my first year of college because I knew how stressful the programs can be. I then decided a year after that to pursue nursing because it is something I really want to do and I figured if any career field would be non-judgemental and understanding it would be the medical field. Fast forward years later, I have found a few coping mechanisms in order to deal with it. However, since I'm starting a new school and have the stress of nursing school I feel as if my stomach might start acting up again. Long story short, do you know of anyone who finished nursing school with any gastrointestinal problems and succeeded? Do you know how they coped? Will my professors care if I have this problem?

...I figured if any career field would be non-judgemental and understanding it would be the medical field.

You're dead wrong about that one. When you can no longer preform, they'll throw you out on your head in a hurry.

That being said, your issue doesn't sound like a major one and I think it's probably workable.

Ok thank you.

Hi Kim, I like you suffered from IBS for almost 3 years. When I began taking my pre-reqs for my nursing program my IBS began, and it was the most stress time in my life. Not until two months ago I noticed that my symptoms disappeared, I had begun to drink probiotics, cut food groups out ex red meats, beef, dairy, greasy foods, sugar drinks etc. It was a long process but It has been worth it. Also, I increased my intake of many tea's specially green tea, I also began to sleep earlier, reduce my stress among other things. Although, I still have not started any nursing school program, I can definitely tell you that not everyone will be as nice and understanding. I also fear the same when my time comes, but stressing about that will also not be helpful! I wish you the best! YOU GOT THIS!!!

@YAS95 thank you so much for this. I truly appreciate it. I'm so happy that your symptoms have disappeared. Good luck to you!

Specializes in Emergency / Disaster.

I can't say I specifically have IBS, but I have "issues". I solve my "issues" by only eating food items that I know won't bother me - which means either I bring my food - or I don't eat until I get home (or have time to go to a grocery store and buy "non-offending" food). I don't have a gallbladder anymore and I follow a keto diet to control my migraines. No one cares about my issues for sure and won't care what kind of hell I'm going through as long as it doesn't affect them at all. Maybe its because of being in ketosis that I don't feel hungry much of the time, but going 24 hours without food isn't much of an issue for me. I don't physically feel hungry, I drink plenty of fluids, drink protein shakes at least once a day if I don't eat real food and I'm fine. I can't work or function if I feel like crap and sometimes eating causes me to feel bad - so I choose not to eat until I have time to deal with it. Other people will always put hunger first and deal with the consequences. You just have to figure out what works for you. For me its meal prepping and keeping a giant cooler in my car packed with ice blocks and food I can eat and a tub of protein to drink when there is no time to eat.

@hurricanekat thank you for your comment. I appreciate it.

Specializes in Postpartum, PICU.

I dont have IBS but I did develop acid reflux (GERD) while in school and I'm pretty sure it was from anxiety & stress (I also wasn't the healthiest eater). I am done with nursing school and it was a very stressful time! What is funny is though that my GERD has flared up after I finished school as I am currently studying for the NCLEX and in my opinion this is far more stressful than nursing school itself í ½í¸­ However I think that some previous posters gave you some great advice in terms of stress reduction and IBS management. Above all you have to remember self care while in school because it's very easy to forget to care for yourself while caring for others. And I'm sure you can try talking to some nursing instructors about your concerns, after all they are there to help. Best of luck in your journey to becoming an RN :)

Thank you so much genesis1930. I appreciate your kind words and encouragement. I will schedule out time for my well-being. I wish you all the best on your NCLEX. You got this!

Specializes in Education. Public health. Psych board cert..

Anytime a nursing student comes to be with a stress related illness I always send them to our college counselors. The students tell me the two full time and free counselor support have been very helpful. I to tell the students that they will have to be able to handle the expected stress in clinical/lab/sim. You can have these discussions with students and be supportive at the same time while holding them to the school rules and standards. I also tell my students that their personal health information is private and that they must not tell me anything specific. If they need more help I do direct them to my chair of nursing. She is also supportive but firm about the expectations. That all said, I do wish you well and hope you are successful.

@Sandy. Thank you, I appreciate this coming from your side of the spectrum. I do plan on attending counselling and finding ways to manage any stress.

+ Add a Comment