Falling Asleep

Nurses General Nursing

Published

So I need some advice. I started a new job recently. I was new to working 12 hour shifts and it was only my second time with 3 days in a row. I am definitely not making excuses for myself at all, but I fell asleep twice that day. Once during a meeting in front of every charge nurse in the hospital and the Nursing supervisor and another during a patient group while shadowing the social worker running it. The strange thing is in neither situation did I know I even did it. The social worker confronted me when I proceeded to tell her I loved how she ran group (like I said honestly thought I was with it) and she told me I was asleep. I visibly almost began crying and stated I felt unprofessional, disrespectful, and I didn't feel sorry even began to cover it. Then I proceeded to tell her I was getting a heart monitor the next week as well as a sleep study soon because I hadn't felt right lately and had been sleeping profusely on days off. I then was off for a seven day stretch to come back to my boss wanting to speak to me. I hadn't had a chance to seek her out first as she had been busy the day it happened and the seven days left plenty of time for it to get to her by my coworkers. Come to find out, one of the charge nurses who didn't even know my name also called my boss to report me. She never addressed me personally or anything. I explained to my boss what I explained to the social worker. Not giving excuses just the facts of the situation. I guess I was really hurt and felt unsupported that I was reported by one who didn't even talk to me about it herself to at least see if there was some explanation and by another who didn't tell me she was reporting it and I also did explain myself the best I could. I got a disciplinary warning in my file that sounded pretty awful, but my boss was genuinely supportive. I guess I am just seeking advice on where to go from here. It is possible I am actually anemic or have a cardiac concern so I'm not sure whether to get a doctors letter to try and support that I truly was sick or to just leave it and solve the issue so it doesn't happen again. My frustration and sadness over this situation is really not even describable. I was mortified and angry with myself. I love my job and I would never want to jeopardize it.

Thank you all for the advice. And yes I'm days. I used to be mostly 3P-11P and then I was 8A-5P for a short while. Now I am 7a-7p. I'm definitely trying to figure out what's going on and am more than grateful my boss took pity on me for sure. I'm a night owl generally.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
So I need some advice. I started a new job recently. I was new to working 12 hour shifts and it was only my second time with 3 days in a row. I am definitely not making excuses for myself at all, but I fell asleep twice that day. Once during a meeting in front of every charge nurse in the hospital and the Nursing supervisor and another during a patient group while shadowing the social worker running it. The strange thing is in neither situation did I know I even did it. The social worker confronted me when I proceeded to tell her I loved how she ran group (like I said honestly thought I was with it) and she told me I was asleep. I visibly almost began crying and stated I felt unprofessional, disrespectful, and I didn't feel sorry even began to cover it. Then I proceeded to tell her I was getting a heart monitor the next week as well as a sleep study soon because I hadn't felt right lately and had been sleeping profusely on days off. I then was off for a seven day stretch to come back to my boss wanting to speak to me. I hadn't had a chance to seek her out first as she had been busy the day it happened and the seven days left plenty of time for it to get to her by my coworkers. Come to find out, one of the charge nurses who didn't even know my name also called my boss to report me. She never addressed me personally or anything. I explained to my boss what I explained to the social worker. Not giving excuses just the facts of the situation. I guess I was really hurt and felt unsupported that I was reported by one who didn't even talk to me about it herself to at least see if there was some explanation and by another who didn't tell me she was reporting it and I also did explain myself the best I could. I got a disciplinary warning in my file that sounded pretty awful, but my boss was genuinely supportive. I guess I am just seeking advice on where to go from here. It is possible I am actually anemic or have a cardiac concern so I'm not sure whether to get a doctors letter to try and support that I truly was sick or to just leave it and solve the issue so it doesn't happen again. My frustration and sadness over this situation is really not even describable. I was mortified and angry with myself. I love my job and I would never want to jeopardize it.

First, I'm sorry this happened to you. You've got a lot to worry about right now; I'm glad your boss is supportive.

It's pretty unprofessional to "visibly almost begin crying" and to tell her all of you personal medical problems and fears. I understand the impulse that motivated you, and I've done it myself. Not my proudest moments. But your work doesn't need to know all of that until there's a real diagnosis that may require an accomodation. Better not to give them so much information. Solve the issue so it doesn't happen again.

As far as the charge nurse telling your manager -- that's information your manager needs, and with you off for seven days she probably didn't have a chance to address it with you first. Even if she had addressed it with you first, that's information the manager needs, and who knows how many OTHER people also talked to her about it.

Good luck. I hope the issue can easily be treated, and if it's sleep apnea, there are a few good threads on CPAP.

I can't do three in a row. I know my limitations. I had to do 4 in a row once with my preceptor in orientation. I felt like death on that fourth day and was falling asleep in the morning.

I have not done 3 in a row since. I do my two and I'm out. I honestly like just doing one, put like a PP mentioned I do like my 3 in a row off.

Are you sure you do not have sleep apnea?

Edit: Sorry, I just reread that you are scheduled for a sleep study. If you have sleep apnea, then this is a medical situation not a failing on your part.

I used to have this problem before I got my CPAP and got a written reprimand at my job. This was before I was a nurse, in a corporate job where the meetings were long and brutal. I used to stand in the back of the room for meetings in order to stay awake. People were horrible to me about the sleeping, which was out of my control. It was not like I whipped out a pillow and a blanket, it was more like narcolepsy.

It would have been better for you and less concerning for your boss if you'd just apologized and promised it wouldn't happen again.

I disagree that the OP should promise that it will not happen again. It sounds medical, not laziness. She isn't curling up in the supply room after partying all night, she is falling asleep in meetings. It is good that she identify that she knows there is a problem and is seeking answers. Having to wear a CPAP when sleeping or getting treated for anemia do not require accommodations in the work place.

To RNrhythm This is strongly how I felt too and partly why I was struggling with telling her the results. I am very type A and really work hard. I was mortified about what I did and scared. And if it is sleep apnea or anemia I agree. It's not like it makes me unsafe as long as I take care of it which is why I wonder whether I should just not speak of it again or tell my boss hey this is what actually happened. I absolutely think I screwed up and I'm doing everything I can to get to the bottom of it because I don't want it to happen again. It's a weird situation and it makes me sad that medical concerns could be used against you and possibly better to remain hidden. I almost feel like saying I had a medical issue is better than I was just tired. I think some people have been rather harsh towards my post as it hasn't happened to them. I also am not trying to pass on blame away from myself. I do blame myself. The only reason I mentioned that I wish the one who didn't speak to me had done so PRIOR to speaking to my boss is because that is how my leadership skills usually work. I like to meet the person where they are at and then scale upwards if necessary. I don't think it was necessarily something that shouldn't have been said to my boss. It's just nice to speak to the person first and she would not have known I was off or on the next day. She went directly to my boss right after the meeting.

I disagree that the OP should promise that it will not happen again. It sounds medical, not laziness. She isn't curling up in the supply room after partying all night, she is falling asleep in meetings. It is good that she identify that she knows there is a problem and is seeking answers. Having to wear a CPAP when sleeping or getting treated for anemia do not require accommodations in the work place.

My point is that it's better to appear "lazy" than it is to appear to have an out of control medical problem that causes you to fall asleep at work. No nurse manager wants to think that someone on the unit might "fall asleep" while assisting a 99 year old, frail patient back to bed. If the OP got an understanding response from her boss, she's very lucky.

My point is that it's better to appear "lazy" than it is to appear to have an out of control medical problem that causes you to fall asleep at work. No nurse manager wants to think that someone on the unit might "fall asleep" while assisting a 99 year old, frail patient back to bed. If the OP got an understanding response from her boss, she's very lucky.

I did get an understanding response. I'm a psych nurse who works for and with other psych nurses.

To RNrhythm This is strongly how I felt too and partly why I was struggling with telling her the results. I am very type A and really work hard. I was mortified about what I did and scared. And if it is sleep apnea or anemia I agree. It's not like it makes me unsafe as long as I take care of it which is why I wonder whether I should just not speak of it again or tell my boss hey this is what actually happened. I absolutely think I screwed up and I'm doing everything I can to get to the bottom of it because I don't want it to happen again. It's a weird situation and it makes me sad that medical concerns could be used against you and possibly better to remain hidden. I almost feel like saying I had a medical issue is better than I was just tired. I think some people have been rather harsh towards my post as it hasn't happened to them. I also am not trying to pass on blame away from myself. I do blame myself. The only reason I mentioned that I wish the one who didn't speak to me had done so PRIOR to speaking to my boss is because that is how my leadership skills usually work. I like to meet the person where they are at and then scale upwards if necessary. I don't think it was necessarily something that shouldn't have been said to my boss. It's just nice to speak to the person first and she would not have known I was off or on the next day. She went directly to my boss right after the meeting.

An apology would have served and try to rest more so that it does not happen again.

+ Add a Comment