Texas RNs - keeping license active while not working

Nurses General Nursing

Updated:   Published

I am taking a break from work to do the SAHM gig. I emailed the BON asking if I could keep my license active as long as I complete my continuing ED and pay the fee every renewal period. (I may try to work PRN or not work at all, not sure right now.) They responded and just told me how to place my license on inactive status but I'm still not clear if I HAVE to inactivate it if I'm not working. The renewal requirements don't seem to include proof of active employment. Anyone with experience know? TIA!

Specializes in Oncology (OCN).

Do not put your license on inactive status! In Texas if your license is inactive and you do not work in nursing for 4 years or more you are required to take a Refresher Course in order to reactivate it. (There is just a fee if less than four years). There is not an active work/employment requirement in Texas. I would recommend doing the required 20 hours of CEUs every 2 years and paying the renewal fee and keeping your license current.

As a side note, I'm a Texas RN. Ten years ago I put my license on inactive status when I was forced to go on disability at age 40 and doctors told me I'd never be able to work again due to CRPS/RSD. Fortunately, they were wrong and with new treatments I am doing remarkably better. I took the didactic portion of the Refresher Course last fall and finished my clinical hours this Spring. I'm currently just waiting for the paperwork to process through the BON and my license will be current again. It's been exciting (because I thought it would never happen) but I wouldn't recommend going through it if you don't have to because it's also been a huge pain in the butt! Lol!

Specializes in Aviation.

What was the (name and location) nursing refresher course that you participated in?

+ Add a Comment