Nursing Home Patient Dies After Being "Eaten Alive" By Scabies

Nurses Headlines

Published

"But the once-vibrant woman later found herself living in a nursing home, where she suffered a long, painful death, her family's attorneys said. Parasitic mites had burrowed under her skin, living and laying eggs all over her body. By the time she died, vesicles and thick crusts had formed on her skin. Her right hand had turned nearly black, and Prieto said her fingers were about to fall off."

Scabies-infested Georgia nursing home neglected Rebecca Zeni, suit says - The Washington Post

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).

When I read these stories I often wonder why families sit by a watch this happen. I agree many nursing homes have horrible conditions and criminal policies but we moved my mom from 3 different homes before we found the right place.

Hppy

The LTC facility is ultimately to blame.

But the daughter knew she was covered in scabies, had gangrenous tissue in her hands, and did NOTHING to get her mother to an ER or moved to a new facility?!?

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).
The LTC facility is ultimately to blame.

But the daughter knew she was covered in scabies, had gangrenous tissue in her hands, and did NOTHING to get her mother to an ER or moved to a new facility?!?

Yes the facility is ultimately to blame. But the daughter should have moved her mother out.

Hppy

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.
When I read these stories I often wonder why families sit by a watch this happen. I agree many nursing homes have horrible conditions and criminal policies but we moved my mom from 3 different homes before we found the right place.

Hppy

Most likely they don't. They don't visit or check on their elders or disabled family members. This is a fact; I worked LTC a while. The elders/residents that got best care had very assertive family members/friends looking out for their interests. I found it grating at first to deal with them, until I put myself in their shoes and changed my attitude.

Some residents (of all ages) are literally left to rot/die in some LTC situations (NOT ALL). Sad but true. It's despicable and I hope the State tears them apart in a survey/investigation.

+ Add a Comment