Which State to be licensed in first?!

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I'm going to be licensed by exam in one state, and will need to be licensed by endorsement for the second state ASAP. I'm 50/50 on which state I will be working in so I'm not sure if one state endorses faster or which one to do first? I'm between NY and CT. I will be completing the online classes required for the NY license to try and speed up any process as much as possible. Any suggestions on which one I should do first? Does one endorse faster than the other?

Specializes in Pedi.

Make a decision about where you will work then decide where to test. Why do you want to pay for a license you won't need?

I would definitely like to be licensed in both just because I would like to return to school in one of the two states and am unsure where I will be working. I wanted to pay as soon as possible ahead of time because I should be able to register a date for NCLEX within a few weeks of graduating.

Specializes in Pedi.

If you're graduating in a couple weeks, most new grad positions in the highly desired hospitals in both locations are probably already promised to new grads contingent on passing NCLEX. I am from the Northeast and went to school with people who worked in both states after graduation- they all had their jobs secured before graduation. If you decide to go back to school in a state you're not licensed in, you simply apply for licensure by endorsement then. You usually have ample notice before grad school starts.

I am graduating soon and am still interviewing for new grad positions. Most of the ones I applied for have stated they were not even reviewing applications until May. Positions were applied to as early as January (some didn't open until March) but many aren't getting back as early as they used to I guess. Very few graduating with me are set up with jobs and the ones I know of are not new grad programs/residencies.

I'm just asking if one state endorses faster than the other...I will be getting a license in both states regardless and don't want to miss out on a job because one state's endorsement process is slower than the other.

+ Add a Comment