Can I work in OB/GYN as a FNP?

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

Hey

I'll finally be graduating Nursing School in December of this year, 2018. That means, I'll be doing my capstone internship, and I am not sure where to go. I want to pick an area that will aid in my future career goals. So....

I've read plenty of threads on how it is better to go for a FNP vs WHNP. However, I have also read threads that still do not entirely answer the question: Will I be able to specialize in OB/GYN care as a FNP?

I do understand why FNP is more marketable, but I am asking solely out of curiosity as to what areas I can specialize in with this degree.

Honestly, it would be a no brainer to just go for the WHNP to work in OB/GYN; but, I've read a lot on how the job market for that degree is dissipating.

Any help, guidance?

Thanks

I know plenty of FNPs that work in obgyn. While there is nothing precluding you from it, you probably would be the long shot over someone who's a whnp. Really comes down to your local market and what skills are available for the needs.

Specializes in Pediatrics, Women’s Health.

Lots of FNPs work in women's health. You say you are just graduating nursing school, so you have plenty of time to get a little experience and see what you like first. The FNP will leave you with a lot more options than the WHNP degree. I know a couple with the latter, but they were very experienced L&D nurses who had never done anything else and would never have even considered another type of job.

+ Add a Comment