District Nurses

Specialties School

Published

Any District Nurses here?

I'm looking for some guidance on policies and the process of updating/revising them. My admin wants me to review our current Wellness Policy and have any updates/revisions ready for our board meeting next month. I get the impression they're expecting changes but I'm not sure what needs to be changed....am I the only one who isn't sure on what to do with policies aside from following them?

Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated!

I am the district nurse. This is my first year in that position though the other years I was just a grant nurse at a school. I am currently revising all the health policies to fit what I as an RN can and cant do. For example our state law is no OTC meds without physician order or pharmacy label. Our current policy says as long as parents send OTC and fill out authorization they can be given. That is not going to work! I have looked online for our surrounding counties health policies and I am just gonna go by theirs and draft new ones for our district. It would be good to make sure you are following CDC guidelines, state law, your state practice act, ect. I would have never thought we would be so out of date but we are. Good luck!

Any District Nurses here?

I'm looking for some guidance on policies and the process of updating/revising them. My admin wants me to review our current Wellness Policy and have any updates/revisions ready for our board meeting next month. I get the impression they're expecting changes but I'm not sure what needs to be changed....am I the only one who isn't sure on what to do with policies aside from following them?

Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated!

I am lucky to have a senior nurse.

Can you post your changes as you go?

I am lucky to have a senior nurse.

Can you post your changes as you go?

That would be awesome, but I honestly don't know! I'm not really getting any help with this "project" and I can't even begin to think of where or who I should start asking. Sooooo, I'm just comparing our policy to some local districts and am adding/taking away where it needs to be so that it applies to our particular school. No guarantee its what they're looking for though!!

I have had to write policies for our school b/c we didn't have any written anywhere. Google "wellness policy (insert any state name or public school district here) and several will pop up. I downloaded several and read them and decided what would work for me/us and what wouldn't. No need to reinvent the wheel, there are a LOT of good ones out there. Boston Public Schools has several on line you can access, as an example:

https://www.bostonpublicschools.org/cms/lib/MA01906464/Centricity/Domain/205/2013-06-19_wellness_policy_final.pdf

+ Add a Comment