My brain doesn't work anymore

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

Ok seriously, it seems like my brain has stopped functioning. I used to be able to memorize ANYTHING and in my jobs I was the go-to person if a doc needed info on a past patient that they couldn't remember- I could (granted I am now in my mid-40s and have a very busy home life as a wife and mom to 2, plus working full time and in a post grad FNP cert program).

Now I swear that it seems like I can't remember anything anymore and my program is getting super intense so my memory is a necessity at this point!!!!

I'm switching from all nights to a days position which should help.

Any other suggestions, including supplements or brain exercises?

Specializes in Family Nurse Practitioner.

It sounds like you are overwhelmed and trying to do way too much. :) I have seen anxiety and trauma mimic ADD or vegetative depression so stress is the real deal. Another plug for having actual inpatient psychiatric experience prior to deciding the woman who is disorganized due to domestic violence needs to be placed on a stimulant. That and, sorry to offend all those who think they will be able to work until they are 70+years old, gray matter volume has been reported to decrease as early as 30 years old.

Nothing earth shattering but I'd advise rest, healthy diet, exercise and definitely some me time with girlfriends to unwind and enjoy life.

Normal Cognitive Aging

Specializes in LTC.

Check out Dr. Perlmutter's books (Grain Brain and Brain Maker) ... although you don't have time to read them, I know. They are fantastic. He also has a great website full of articles, etc.

The effects of chronic stress & lack of sleep are very real, and not something we can just "push through" forever. I'm feeling it, too, and that's just as an (older) mom of 3 + student. I have been unable to properly care for myself due to the ridiculous course load this semester. Not enough hours in the day. You know.

I started out with a bang -- and now it feels more like a fizzle.

Thanks Jules, I have admired your advice to others on here for a long time. It's good to hear that I'm not losing it...3 semesters to go and I'll be done with my post-master's FNP certificate...

Thanks 37! I have already actually read him. I have been following a ketogenic/primal way of eating since last year and have reaped a LOT of health benefits from it. Sadly I don't feel like I got the full effect of the 'mental clarity' that everyone raves about on this lifestyle, but I'm keeping at it and hopefully will see that soon. I am a huge fan of Dr. P- he is definitely on to something!!!

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
Ok seriously, it seems like my brain has stopped functioning. I used to be able to memorize ANYTHING and in my jobs I was the go-to person if a doc needed info on a past patient that they couldn't remember- I could (granted I am now in my mid-40s and have a very busy home life as a wife and mom to 2, plus working full time and in a post grad FNP cert program).

Now I swear that it seems like I can't remember anything anymore and my program is getting super intense so my memory is a necessity at this point!!!!

I'm switching from all nights to a days position which should help.

Any other suggestions, including supplements or brain exercises?

Stress perhaps? I know I'm unusually stupid when I'm under a lot of stress. I think it's because I'm not paying as much attention to what I'm doing at any given moment as I ought to be. Instead, my mind is twirling on OTHER things, things I cannot necessarily change right then and there. I have to work especially hard to keep my mind on what I'm doing/learning/trying to solve in the moment.

Yes I suspect definitely stress, coupled with the fact that I work this intermittent afternoon to nights position and my hours flip flop continuously (going to a days/weekend position to combat this issue), i'm also a full time mom and wife, TOTALLY sleep deprived, also trying to balance my recently-widowed mom into the equation (and deal with the loss of my dad). Yes, it's a little bit crazy.

+ Add a Comment