Nurse Residency Program vs. Entry Level/New Grad Nurse Jobs?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

1. Nurse Residency Program Vs. Entry Level/New Grad Nurse Jobs

• Nurse Residency Program
      Entry Level/New Grad Nurse Jobs

6 members have participated

I am curious of people's opinions and experiences of nurse residency programs vs. a entry level/new graduate nurse job right out of school.

Some background about me:

I am currently in an accelerated nursing program (half-way done and graduating in December 2018). I graduated in May 2017 with another degree (B.S. in Nutrition, Dietetics). I am also a nursing assistant in the OR (even though I am not sure if this is the specialty I want to be in). I am currently in the Philadelphia area, but also considering moving to Baltimore.

With all the "extra" experience I have, I am not sure if a nurse residency program is for me? I will have been in school for 5.5 years straight between my first BS degree and my second degree (BSN). I am kind of sick of "school work" and heard that in residency programs you have to go to class and complete projects. However, I heard that they are good programs to do to "learn" your specialty. I am not sure what specialty I would like to go in yet, however. Do entry level/new grad positions offer enough orientation for new nurses?

Also, I was researching that some programs do not guarantee a job after the program is over? Also, that some residency programs pay way less than a RN job.

Please share your experiences and any advice!

Thank you!

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

The 'extra' experience you have is not RN experience and does not replace it in any way, shape of form.

I think you are worried about semantics- new grad residency and new grad programs in general are largely the same. You need a lengthy orientation in your first job- what the facility you work at calls it is up for grabs.

That is good to know and a good way to think about it. Thank you!!

Specializes in Oncology, OCN.
The 'extra' experience you have is not RN experience and does not replace it in any way, shape of form.

I think you are worried about semantics- new grad residency and new grad programs in general are largely the same. You need a lengthy orientation in your first job- what the facility you work at calls it is up for grabs.

I'm currently in an accelerated program and this is pretty much what my OB clinical instructor (who works at that hospital) told us about residency programs at least within this hospital system. A couple different names thrown about but most programs are basically the same.

Specializes in mental health / psychiatic nursing.

Residency programs are more like a formal orientation period for new grads rather than going to school. There can be a LOT of benefits to doing one. I would not see them as being beneath you, no matter how much prior healthcare related experience you have.

Your prior experience will probably be of some benefit to you in terms of knowing the hospital environment and some base healthcare knowledge but you will still be a NEW nurse, and like any new job it is helpful to have adequate orientation, supportive environment, and a mentor or two as your get your feet under you. That is what most residency / new grad programs often offer.

I took a non-hospital job as a new grad and thus did not start with a residency, and while I do greatly enjoy my job, I can clearly see the advantages my classmates who are receiving formal training and support have.

Specializes in Emergency.

I graduate in May and have accepted a new grad residency in the ED of a good hospital. I decided to go this route, even though it is an hour away, because of this hospitals program. We're graduating with the skills to pass the NCLEX....I want the support of a set program and training to help me transition to the job.

Congrats on all your academic accomplishments, you should be very proud!! :-)

+ Add a Comment