My Cousin is throwing insults because I'm taking too long to finish nursing

Nursing Students General Students

Published

My cousin asked me, 6 months ago what was my career goals , I told her that I want to become a Nurse ; My cousin (let's call her Mary ) has a job at this program (that I believe is a pyramid scheme ) that helps you with life problems or she claims . Mary says, that they have done a lot to help her , but she still hasn't gotten her life together . Mary's program charges six hundred dollars to start , then you pay more money as you go. She has tried everything under the sun to convince me to go, but I never bogged for 2 years . Finally I've got fed up and just told her I wasn't interested , she tried again to convince me by saying well it can help you figure out what you want to do in life . I said ," I already told you before that I wanted to become a nurse I don't need help from your program will pay for my classes I'm not gonna take my hard earn money to give it to you " .

She replied , "You've been saying that for a years and you haven't become a nurse yet , it seems like you aren't doing anything ". ( she didn't find out I wanted to be a nurse until 6 months ago )

I explained to her how long the nursing program can takes, and how expensive it can be . Fast-forward to a week ago she comes to visit , she asks me what I'm doing in school, I told her I'm currently doing pre-requisites , she then makes this " hmph" noise to insult me. Mary is a social worker currently a social work ( she studied for the test last year but has made no efforts to find a job in social work ) despite working in this program for years . Yet she she throws insults at me for the fact that I have not finished the nursing program . She knows ,my finical problems have kept me, from starting the nursing program in the past, yet she continues to insult me every chance she gets .

This makes me wonder if my cousin is jealous of me because this isn't the only thing she insults me on also insults me on my dating life as well because I have no interest in dating anyone right and makes fun of me for not having a boyfriend , yet she is depressed about not having one . It just makes me wonder what is her deal , we're all trying our best here .

Another thing that irks me is ,why on earth do people assume that the nursing program is very easy to get into ?.

Sorry for the poor Grammar everyone ,I'm still working on getting better at it.

Ignore her and see less of her. I have family just like this and they are destructive, petty and negative. There probably is jealousy on her end because you are actively working towards your goal and she isn't getting anywhere. If she says something again, ignore her. She's trying to get a rise out of you-don't let her. She'll grow tired eventually. Spend more time around positive people who care about the progress you're making. Good luck and I'm cheering for you!!!

Ignore her and see less of her. I have family just like this and they are destructive petty and negative. There probably is jealousy on her end because you are actively working towards your goal and she isn't getting anywhere. If she says something again, ignore her. She's trying to get a rise out of you-don't let her. She'll grow tired eventually. Spend more time around positive people who care about the progress you're making. Good luck and I'm cheering for you!!![/quote']

I am gonna take your advice and ignore her , and I will no longer gonna give her details when she asks about my schooling .

Specializes in Rehab, Ortho-Spine, Med-Surg, & Psych.

Hello,

Concentrate your conversations on what unites you as a family... schooling and boyfriends are obviously not suitable topics. Politely tell her you do not want to argue and prefer to talk about other things.

She is clearly unhappy with herself (and probably jealous) as she seems to be critical of you without giving you any meaningful advice to "overcome your problems".

You can take the next opportunity to take the high road and be the grown up, or ignore her... leaving her "lost at sea".

Your cousin is a petty and jealous pig, who is probably unhappy in her own life. You're weak in her eyes. Stand up to her and back her off.

Specializes in Psychiatry.
My cousin asked me, 6 months ago what was my career goals , I told her that I want to become a Nurse ; My cousin (let's call her Mary ) has a job at this program (that I believe is a pyramid scheme ) that helps you with life problems or she claims . Mary says, that they have done a lot to help her , but she still hasn't gotten her life together . Mary's program charges six hundred dollars to start , then you pay more money as you go. She has tried everything under the sun to convince me to go, but I never bogged for 2 years . Finally I've got fed up and just told her I wasn't interested , she tried again to convince me by saying well it can help you figure out what you want to do in life . I said ," I already told you before that I wanted to become a nurse I don't need help from your program will pay for my classes I'm not gonna take my hard earn money to give it to you " .

She replied , "You've been saying that for a years and you haven't become a nurse yet , it seems like you aren't doing anything ". ( she didn't find out I wanted to be a nurse until 6 months ago )

I explained to her how long the nursing program can takes, and how expensive it can be . Fast-forward to a week ago she comes to visit , she asks me what I'm doing in school, I told her I'm currently doing pre-requisites , she then makes this " hmph" noise to insult me. Mary is a social worker currently a social work ( she studied for the test last year but has made no efforts to find a job in social work ) despite working in this program for years . Yet she she throws insults at me for the fact that I have not finished the nursing program . She knows ,my finical problems have kept me, from starting the nursing program in the past, yet she continues to insult me every chance she gets .

This makes me wonder if my cousin is jealous of me because this isn't the only thing she insults me on also insults me on my dating life as well because I have no interest in dating anyone right and makes fun of me for not having a boyfriend , yet she is depressed about not having one . It just makes me wonder what is her deal , we're all trying our best here .

Another thing that irks me is ,why on earth do people assume that the nursing program is very easy to get into ?.

Sorry for the poor Grammar everyone ,I'm still working on getting better at it.

She may be afraid and insecure and fears you're taking a big risk that may have a poor outcome for you. Sometimes people care about you to the extent that they project their own fears on you because they themselves feel inadequate and they fear that you may get hurt if you don't succeed.

It may also be fear that you will become a success story, whereas she's not, and you will leave her behind.

In any case, I would advise you keep your endeavors to yourself. Don't discuss your plans with her. Do your pre-reqs in silence and when you do get accepted, keep it to yourself. I say this because she may discourage you along the way. Sorry to say but nursing school only gets harder and you need supportive people in your corner; that helps a lot.

Good luck in all you do.

take YOUR time with this program, not anyone elses.

good luck!

She may be afraid and insecure and fears you're taking a big risk that may have a poor outcome for you. Sometimes people care about you to the extent that they project their own fears on you because they themselves feel inadequate and they fear that you may get hurt if you don't succeed.

It may also be fear that you will become a success story, whereas she's not, and you will leave her behind.

In any case, I would advise you keep your endeavors to yourself. Don't discuss your plans with her. Do your pre-reqs in silence and when you do get accepted, keep it to yourself. I say this because she may discourage you along the way. Sorry to say but nursing school only gets harder and you need supportive people in your corner; that helps a lot.I

Good luck in all you do.

I honestly don't think she cares for me or is worried for me since she tried to get 600 dollars out of me plus insulted because I stood up and refused to give her my hard earn money . I think the only person she cares about is herself .

take YOUR time with this program, not anyone elses.

good luck!

Thank you so much

+ Add a Comment