Don't want to nag. Should I follow up?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I had a correctional panel interview last week. The DON verbally told me that I would be moving forward in the hiring process. I have yet to hear anything from HR. I emailed HR earlier this week to follow up but they didn't respond. Should I call before the week ends?

I turned down a job offer last week after the correctional interview because of what the DON said. I know that wasn't smart but I wasn't too thrilled about the job anyway. The dumb thing I DID do was cancel a care manager interview on Tuesday because of hopes that I'll be moving forward in the correctional process. If you can't tell I REALLY want the corrections position.

I interviewed for corrections 4-5 years ago and received notification the same day that I'd be moving forward so that's why I'm unsure now even though that was a long time ago and I'm sure things have changed. This is also a local govt position so they'll let me know either way whether yay or nay. Just not sure if I should contact HR again since they didn't respond the first time.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

I feel your pain. Any position that is government takes a really, really long time. I've worked for university hospitals in a couple of different states -- pay raises were decided upon by the state legislature and took FOREVER to get through. I'd give it until next week and then call again. In the mean time, don't cancel any more interviews!

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

If it was me, I'd have to call. Waiting would drive me out of my mind.

I did eventually call and speak with HR. She told me that I was placed on a waitlist because they were almost fully staffed. That was a BS statement because the job had been reposted twice after my interview. Seems like the DON said he wanted to hire me and then changed his mind to see if there was a better person for the job and besides, since when do they start waitlists for job openings? I wish HR would've just been straight up with me and told me that they were going to go in a different direction.

No hard feelings on my end though because I reached out to the HR rep who contacted me regarding the care manager position and luckily she was understanding and rescheduled me for the interview. I was able to interview and actually got the position! They offered me $7k more than I asked for; it'll be the highest paid position I've ever held, and I'll be able to work from home after 3 months. I've also been trying to get into the case/care management world for over a year now so I'm extremely happy. I guess everything really does happen for a reason!

+ Add a Comment