to tell or not to tell

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I was let go after my orientation to a med/surg floor. (first nursing job too). I"m in the process of looking for another job but i was wondering if its a good idea to keep the med/surg orientation job completely off my resume and job applications. What do i say if it comes up in an interview?

Specializes in SICU, trauma, neuro.

If you leave it off, it will likely make you look deceptive when your work history is discovered.

In an interview, be honest. Claim ownership -- your performance issues, not any perceived injustice -- and discuss the steps you have taken to improve.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

Yeah, marsbar, I've been fired from two jobs and quit one while in orientation and kept them on my resume and had no problem with subsequent interviews or getting the position for which I applied.

Like Here.I.Stand said, "be honest".

The best to you and good luck, marsbar!

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

Important question: are you considered rehireable? If so, "I left after orientation because I realized (insert here why it wasn't a good fit.)."

Usually there's a probational period where you or the hospital can decide that it isn't working out. How far along were you in employment?

Finally... this is not the end of the world. You'll find someplace where you will be successful. Please believe that.

thank you so much for your encouragements! Its hard right now trying to see the bright side of things but everyone has been so positive it goes a long way. Thank you

+ Add a Comment