Ok to apply to multiple jobs in one hospital system?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hello! I am a new grad RN BSN currently applying to jobs in NYC.

Is applying to multiple jobs in the same hospital system a faux pas that makes me look like I don't know what I want? OR do employers want to see that you are flexible as a new grad, and so it looks good that I've applied to multiple?

I have ideas about what type of nursing i"d ultimately like to be in, but for now I just want to start getting work experience and there are multiple areas I'm willing to work in.

Any thoughts from experienced RNs or nurse hiring managers would be much appreciated!

Thank you!!

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

I can tell you that as a hiring manager, when I learn an applicant did a shotgun approach to applications, it's a bit of a turn-off because I want to hire someone who really wants to work in my area of nursing. Applying to every open job seems desperate and unfocused.

I would recommend choosing your two first choice units and applying to them.

Hmm, ok thank you! Would it be ok to apply to a behavioral health posting and a med/surg posting? I love psych but as a new grad I also want to get the basic med/surg skills so would be interested in working in med/surg for a couple of years at least. Also bc on down the road Id love to work in a Psychiatric ED.

Specializes in Neuro, Telemetry.

I think it is unit specific. Those responsible for hiring new grads in over supplied areas, mostly know that new grads will be applying to everything in attempt to get that first job. The ones who aren't understanding of the new grad plight are probably not the managers that you want to work under. Nothing wrong with being choosey in hiring based on amount of applications for experience fed nurses though. It probably does look bad when an experienced nurse applies to everything instead of just what they actually want to do.

+ Add a Comment