LPN license question...

Nurses Career Support

Published

Hello. Not sure if this would be the proper place for this. If not, I apologize in advance. I'm trying to gather all the information I need. I am in an LPN program. The school I attend is in NJ. I live in NY so I guess when the time come to sit for the boards I would apply for NY. That part I get. After I graduate, my boyfriend and I are planning to move to Florida but he wanted to work a few months here and get experience. I was looking on Florida requirements and it looks like you have to have 2 years experience before you can transfer or endorse you license... So my question is what should I do? What do you suggest? When the time comes for the boards, can I apply to both states? Do I just apply to Florida? Can I even do that since I do not live in that state yet? I see Florida is part of the compact but New York is not.... Any suggestions would be great. Thank you so much

Specializes in retired LTC.

You only sit for NCLEX one time. That is the state that issues you your first license. You then file for a license in other states if you choose.

So wherever you are, you can only work in that state who first issued your license.

After that first test & license, it's all just applications.

AmoLucia ---

Yes, I understand you take the NCLEX-PN one time. Our teacher was saying if you know you are going to move and not stay in state that you can opt to choose that state. If I don't live in that state then I would think not... so some of us were getting confused on what she was telling us. I also was looking up the requirements for Florida and it stated you can have your license endorsed after working 2 years in the state I think where you received your license. We are looking to move to Florida so that is why I'm thinking I should try and get my license there but if I don't live there I guess I can't. Then my other problem would be if I have to wait 2 years to have my license endorsed for Florida.... Ugh...

Can you or anyone clarify how this works?

Specializes in retired LTC.

Understand you now.

You do not need 2 years to apply for licensure by endorsement.

For Licensure by Endorsement, the requirements are as follows and can be found in Section 464.009, F.S.:

Applicants are eligible for licensure by endorsement when they hold a valid license to practice professional or practical nursing in another state or territory of the United States.

OR

Applicants are eligible for licensure by endorsement when they have successfully completed the State Board Test Pool Examination (SBTPE) or the NCLEX.

OR

Applicants are eligible for licensure by endorsement when they have actively practiced nursing in another state, jurisdiction, or territory of the United States for 2 of the preceding 3 years without having his or her license acted against by the licensing authority of any jurisdiction.

Tina,

Thank u so much.

Oh one other thing,

Can you apply for license directly to another state? Like I live in New York but we plan on moving to Florida... would I be able to get my license there if I'm not actually a resident? Or do I have to automatically apply for New York and then get endorsed.... I figure it would take a lot longer

Oh one other thing,

Can you apply for license directly to another state? Like I live in New York but we plan on moving to Florida... would I be able to get my license there if I'm not actually a resident? Or do I have to automatically apply for New York and then get endorsed.... I figure it would take a lot longer

I believe you have to be a resident however you can always call Florida BON. They can assist you further.

+ Add a Comment