Novice Providers & Mortality

Specialties NP

Published

"Patients cared for by physicians in their first year as hospitalists have worse 30-day and hospital mortality when compared with more experienced hospitalists. Hospitalists very early in their careers may benefit from additional support and reduced caseloads."

Recently reported in JAMA was that the 30-day mortality rate for patients cared for by a physician hospitalist in their first year of practice was 10.51% compared to 9.97% for the second year of practice, and OR of 0.90. These rates stabilized after the second year of practice.

It is a humbling statistic for all providers to consider mortality rates for care, and while this study addresses only our physician colleagues, the concern can easily be extrapolated to NP practice. It does raise the question of what the profession can do to help stabilize novice providers during their transition/role socialization especially given that while physicians have completed essentially 2-3+ years of supervised practice (residency) there are now states where this is not required of novice NPs.

In light of these data, are there ways that active NPs can help address support novices in the first year of practice?

One proposed solution is active mentorship that extends beyond formal training into clinical practice. Mentorship has been shown in the literature to be a significant factor in both in terms of role socialization and novice clinical practice. Should the impetus fall on the novice provider to establish one or more clinical mentors? Should it fall on NP programs to foster mentorship? Should it fall on the BON to require it int he first year of practice?

Residency/fellowship programs are often suggested as well, however, if the physician residency program still result in a higher mortality in the first year of practice would these program do anything to combat that ultimate transition?

Other thoughts?

Hope there is a constructive discussion on the issue.

Goodwin, J. S., Salameh, H., Zhou, J., Singh, S., Kuo, Y. F., & Nattinger, A. B. (2017). Association of Hospitalist Years of Experience With Mortality in the Hospitalized Medicare Population. JAMA internal medicine.

Specializes in Internal Medicine.

Interesting article. The takeaway is that real experience is king. I'm not sure what a residency program for NP's would do since this article is discussing full fledged physicians already done with their residency. NP's in many states already sort of operate in a functional capacity similar to residency since they have physician supervision of varying degrees. I would imagine even with a hospitalist NP residency, NP's would improve along the lines of physicians after a year of "real" experience. How many times have we read on this very website when new NP's are asking for advice about being overwhelmed "your first year is always the hardest, but it gets easier after the first year"?

I would love a little more data breakdown comparing residency programs and specialty (since hospitalists can be both internal medicine or family practice).

From an NP prespective, the real question needs to be "do NP's working in collabrative or supervisory states produce better outcomes than NP's working in independent practice states". Our data is harder to compile since the degree in which we can practice is different in 50 different states.

It's an interesting study. I've worked in various types of hospitals as a nurse and ACNP and there's certainly a degree of variation in the care hospitalist's bring in terms of knoweldge base and skills. I never saw the length of years as a hospitalist as a factor. In my unscientific/anecdotal assessment, I find those who did residencies in less selective programs and some IMG's being less competent. This is a distinction that wasn't illuminated in the study and is probably hard to to research in the first place.

The article was right to point out that the transition phase from resident to new hospitalist needs to be investigated further to see what factors contributed to the results. It's hard to analyze the study as it relates to NP's who work as hospitalists as we practice in a range of models from close collaboration to supervision to full independence. Mentorship is always a good thing no matter what, but the quality of the mentorship experience will make a big difference.

I totally agree with your comments. Interesting topic.

What are the "typical views" of a MD/DO when working with a NP? Are they constantly testing their knowledge in a way that is intimidating? Or are they doing a lot of teaching?

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.
What are the "typical views" of a MD/DO when working with a NP? Are they constantly testing their knowledge in a way that is intimidating? Or are they doing a lot of teaching?

I've been an APRN for 12+ years now and worked with over 40 physicians and never found an attitude of anything less then collegial. I present myself as a professional and am treated that way.

Specializes in Emergency medicine.

Impossible to generalize. Completely depends on The field of the physician, the field of the NP, their level of experience, individual attitudes, how much they enjoy teaching, general personality, how they present themselves, etc.

There is a nurse practitioner on the urology service of one of the academic hospitals where I work in the ER, she is completely wonderful. Super helpful, always nice, clearly knows what she's doing, and seems like she's been in the field for enough time to be very comfortable. She taught me how to flush a nephrostomy tube recently.

On the other hand, I worked alongside a fairly new nurse practitioner in a different emergency room when I was a resident physician. She seemed very unprepared, she would constantly ask me pretty simple questions. It's not my general disposition to be condescending of course, so I answered her questions with "teaching mode" on. Not to quiz, but to teach. I think she later took a dermatology position.

I now supervise nurse practitioners in a community emergency room, and occasionally I have to point them in the right direction. They see mostly fast track stuff. And on occasion I've asked them to look at a rash for me, because they see more kids with rashes than I do.

It's all about mutual respect and recognizing your limits, wherever they might be.

+ Add a Comment