70 yr old looking for the right job

Nurses Nurse Beth

Published

Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development.

Dear Nurse Beth,

I am 70, worked for 40 years in every capacity. Broad range of skills. Traveled for 5 yrs and now settled in AZ. outside of Tucson. Now I would like a part time job a few days a week and want to do something different than I have. Too old to do bedside nursing again but wondering what would be some alternatives without going back to school, etc. Some less physical but a way to use my skills, possibly work at home? Would be glad to hear some advice. Part time jobs otherwise don't pay as well and I need to work a little in this economy.

Dear Needs to Work,

My hat's off to you :) for your long career.

Here's a few 8 Work from Home Jobs for starting suggestions. Most require a BSN, although not all. There's also infusion therapy, which is not as strenuous, and chemotherapy clinics, which are not as physical as clinical bedside nursing.

Pre-admission intake nurses take histories and do pre-op teaching with patients before they are admitted for surgery-it's a desk job with patient contact and without the physical aspects.

For the most part, inpatient ADN jobs are limited to clinical bedside practice. Some nurses without BSNs are promoted from within an organization where they have ties. Activate your network and let your contacts know you are looking for a position.

Register on Indeed.com to get an idea of what's out here. You may be surprised at the number of choices.

But- have you thought about something non-nursing? Working in a fabric store? A gardening/plant store? Something you enjoy to bring you joy?

Good luck in your search.

Best wishes,

Nurse Beth

Author, "Your Last Nursing Class: How to Land Your First Nursing Job"...and your next!

At the college where I work, we have an awesome nurse who is retired from a 35 year career at a Children's Hospital. She sets up the nursing lab. She is great and says she enjoys the job.

You should check with the College of Nursing at University of Arizona. When I went to school there we had quite a few nurses who just worked a few days a week helping out with clinicals and lab skills.

Specializes in PACU, pre/postoperative, ortho.

One of our pastoral care staff is a former OB nurse & circulator. Now she is a resource/support for pts & families.

Specializes in 15 years in ICU, 22 years in PACU.

I worked with an older OR nurse who did audits. She captured many lost charges because she knew what SHOULD be charged for certain cases. She came in at 4:00 in the morning because she wanted to.

I worked with an older OR nurse who did audits. She captured many lost charges because she knew what SHOULD be charged for certain cases. She came in at 4:00 in the morning because she wanted to.

I would love a job where I could come in at 4 am.

You could probably get a routine long term case in extended care home care that would not be strenuous on your part. Often an overnight shift observing (for the most part) an infant or toddler means a relaxed night in a rocker. And you get nurse pay for this (low home health pay, but nurse pay nonetheless). Take your book, knitting, laptop, if the family allows. Not a hard job.

Kudos to you for all of your dedicated years in nursing! I'm in my late 50's and trying to begin nursing, following 25 yrs in the airline industry. A late bloomer, I guess! BSN, but finding it tough to get started. I'm in awe of you and your long and successful career!

MDS nurse at a desk job?

+ Add a Comment