Ask a CRNA anything...

Specialties Critical

Published

I like many of you was once an ICU nurse wanting to be a CRNA so I figure I'd start up another thread and let you all ask me any question you want. I've been a CRNA for 6 years and do every procedure from open hearts to trauma to peds. My opinions are my own and are not necessarily all correct but I will help where I can. So ask away....

Specializes in Nurse Anesthesiology.

Yes you can get into CRNA school without it, but they may ask why you haven't taken one. If you are that concerned about it I would try to get into a biochem class or take OChem. As long as you make a good grade it can only benefit you and make your application better.

Do you think it's possible to get into a program without having taken chemistry? My BSN program didn't require any chemistry or biochem, and it looks like most (but not all) programs require at least chemistry before applying. I'm really concerned that not having it will hold me back. Thanks!

How is your lifestyle as a CRNA? Do you have a lot of time for family and hobbies? And during your 3-4 days of work are you usually working beyond 12 hours? Also, with taking 100k out for loans, do you think it will be easy to pay them off in the span of 5 years with a newly hired CRNA salary? Thank you so much in advance!

Paying loans off in 5 years is easily doable if you just live below your means with your new salary. I think I have a lot of free time as a CRNA, but the big thing people need to realize is anesthesia is NOT shift work. Most places you are there till cases are done, so that means one day you may leave at 4pm and the next you might be there until 10pm. It all varies on your practice. If you're the call person you could be there over 24hrs. It all really varies.

How is your lifestyle as a CRNA? Do you have a lot of time for family and hobbies? And during your 3-4 days of work are you usually working beyond 12 hours? Also, with taking 100k out for loans, do you think it will be easy to pay them off in the span of 5 years with a newly hired CRNA salary? Thank you so much in advance!
Specializes in Critical Care.

Thank you for answering all the questions! How did you go about picking a school? It seems like there seems to be a big difference between the clinical experience provided by different schools (some only the residents get good experience). I've heard the military is the best but I'm nervous about being owned for 5 years. Also, how much did you have to take out for school and how long did it take to pay it back (if you're done)?

Thank you for this insightful information. I want to dig a little deeper into your professional career. After graduating from your nursing school (BSN), were you able to get an ICU job right away? How difficult was it finding an ICU position?

Specializes in Emergency Dept, ICU.

I think the above question depends on where you live. In my area we are hiring new grads in the ICU like they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Also if you want to get into CRNA school in my city they prefer SICU experience vs CVICU and MICU experience.

Everything in life depends on where you are and who you know...

Thank you for answering all the questions! How did you go about picking a school? It seems like there seems to be a big difference between the clinical experience provided by different schools (some only the residents get good experience). I've heard the military is the best but I'm nervous about being owned for 5 years. Also, how much did you have to take out for school and how long did it take to pay it back (if you're done)?

1. Schools are very different. You want a school that will give you the best chance to come out and be ready to practice independently. Ask if students are actually performing peripheral nerve blocks, central lines, post op orders, pushing their own drugs etc and ask about actual numbers for certain procedures and not just in a simulation lab. I don't think all schools that go to academic centers with residents are horrible, but realize you will have some competition with residents. My program had residents but we relieved them at 3 and stayed to finish cases. There were still plenty of tough cases to go around regardless though.

2. Military is something to think about but you're right you will have to "belong" to them for a little while.

3. I had about $75k in loans. Many had a lot more and some didn't have any. My suggestion is live below your means and get them paid off as fast as you can.

Thank you for this insightful information. I want to dig a little deeper into your professional career. After graduating from your nursing school (BSN), were you able to get an ICU job right away? How difficult was it finding an ICU position?

Yes I was able to start directly into an ICU straight from my BSN and it is still possible today. Honestly I tell everyone don't listen to the many RNs who say you must start in med surg and do a year or two there then go to ICU. If you're able then get a job straight into a SICU, CVICU or similar right from school. Learn as much as you can, study, read on your own, and try to take the sickest patients they have available.

Minimum requirement is one year. Good luck getting into the vast majority of schools with only a year.

Two years is like the hidden minimum to get "accepted" a year will simply allow you to apply and interview. For example, I have a 3.97 GPA, 4.0 in nursing and core sciences from a good university, GRE score was a bit low at 298 but each school I applied to said don't retake it because my GPA overcompensates, CCRN, 1.5 years ICU experience at the third largest hospital in the state, my interviews went good and I got waitlisted from one school, no offer from another, and didn't even get an interview at another. Luckily, I got in on the waitlist spot but I think It is difficult and I would have gotten in fine if I had the two years.

Just my experience though.

This is a reply to the person requesting a quote for programs requiring two years experice minimum.

Can you cite a source for this? The vast majority require just the 1 year critical care.

Minimum requirement is one year. Good luck getting into the vast majority of schools with only a year.

Two years is like the hidden minimum to get "accepted" a year will simply allow you to apply and interview. For example, I have a 3.97 GPA, 4.0 in nursing and core sciences from a good university, GRE score was a bit low at 298 but each school I applied to said don't retake it because my GPA overcompensates, CCRN, 1.5 years ICU experience at the third largest hospital in the state, my interviews went good and I got waitlisted from one school, no offer from another, and didn't even get an interview at another. Luckily, I got in on the waitlist spot but I think It is difficult and I would have gotten in fine if I had the two years.

Just my experience though.

Most schools are making clinical requirements longer and now a lot require 2 years

Can you cite a source for this? The vast majority require just the 1 year critical care.

Two years is like the hidden minimum to get "accepted" a year will simply allow you to apply and interview.

Tachymurse, you have misunderstood. I was not disputing the fact that more experience will indeed give one a competitive edge, rather, OP made a statement that "most schools" are supposedly making clinical requirements longer, and requiring a 2 year minimum for acceptance. I don't believe that's true. I asked for a source to validate that claim, and OP was unable to answer me.

Of the hundreds of programs I've looked into, the vast majority state the 1 year minimum of critical care experience is sufficient. I was hopeful that admission requirements had actually increased, but I haven't seen evidence of that claim.

Tachymurse, you have misunderstood. I was not disputing the fact that more experience will indeed give one a competitive edge, rather, OP made a statement that "most schools" are supposedly making clinical requirements longer, and requiring a 2 year minimum for acceptance. I don't believe that's true. I asked for a source to validate that claim, and OP was unable to answer me.

Of the hundreds of programs I've looked into, the vast majority state the 1 year minimum of critical care experience is sufficient. I was hopeful that admission requirements had actually increased, but I haven't seen evidence of that claim.

Not sure what kind of source you want me to post where I get my info. You can easily find this stuff by looking on the program's website. Many schools do still require just 1 year but mention 2 yrs are preferred and also if you look at the mean for acceptance it is well above 1 yr.

More and more people are applying to school and the programs can only accept but so many so it is getting more competitive and if you just barely meet the minimum requirements you may struggle getting in on the first try.

Here is just a small handful of some that I know of.

Miami - 2yrs

Univ. of Tenn - 2yrs

USF - 2yrs

Our Lady of Lourdes - 2yrs

Duke - 2yr preferred

Rush - 2yr preferred

Adventist - 2yr preferred

+ Add a Comment