has anyone done a dual program

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

Specializes in ICU, and IR.

So I am looking at a program that has a dual NP FNP/ACNP according to a friend that is just joining the program this year...however I wonder what the benefit is to a dual cert? any thoughts? Also I am having trouble finding info about it on their website. Their NP programs are listed as a 1)Acute Care--Adult/Gero NP, 2)Primary Care-Adult/Gero NP 3) Primary care-Family NP 4) Primary Care- Psych mental health NP...it doesn't look like a dual cert to me. Also if someone wanted another cert how hard would it be to get say get ACNP and then get another cert as FNP later?

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Moved to student NP forum

Specializes in Hospitalist Medicine.

There are several schools that offer dual FNP/ACNP programs. Dr. Google is your friend :) Sometimes you'll find it listed as "Emergency Nurse Practitioner".

Increasingly, many ERs want NPs to have dual certification so they can see patients of all ages. Check out University of South Alabama, Vanderbilt, University of Tennessee, Emory, UPenn, UAB, etc.

Specializes in ICU, and IR.

So other than an ER is there any benefit to a dual program? should I just go for FNP and work towards a clinic role. If I do FNP...since I have 5-6 years of ICU experience as an nurse would I be able to work in an ICU as a FNP?

Specializes in Hospitalist Medicine.
So other than an ER is there any benefit to a dual program? should I just go for FNP and work towards a clinic role. If I do FNP...since I have 5-6 years of ICU experience as an nurse would I be able to work in an ICU as a FNP?

It really depends on your state board of nursing's scope of practice for NPs. And it also depends on the hiring practices of the hospitals in your area. Where I live, the ER wants either dual FNP/ACNP certification or the FNP with ER or ICU experience, preference given to dual certification. In the ICU or intensivist role, it's ACNP only. However, the state's scope of practice simply states that we can be delegated what the physician deems appropriate for our skill set. So, technically, one would only need the FNP. However, most docs really want to see the specialized certification, especially if it's your first job. You really need to ask around at the facilities where you want to work and see what they prefer.

This is one of the reasons why I wish we had a standard certification curriculum, similar to PAs & medical students.

+ Add a Comment