Neonatal Nurses with visual disability

Specialties NICU

Published

Are there any neonatal nurses who have low vision? What are some changes you have overcame?

I don't have low vision. But no one can answer your question. It depends entirely on how "low" is "low".

I do think it could be a hindrance in the critical care area of neonatal nursing.

I don't have low vision. But no one can answer your

question. It depends entirely on how " low" is "low".

I do think it could be a hindrance in the critical care area of neonatal nursing.

I agree with brownbook. We can't really know the nature or extent of your low vision (not only how low, but what you mean by low), and to what extent (if any) you can correct it.

Much of our work requires a fair amount of near-distance visual acuity; we start IVs on minuscule veins and read tiny numbers on our tiny tubes and equipment daily. Visual assessment in NICU is also essential when we consider perfusion, respiratory effort, etc. You also have to have sufficient distance vision to be able to see the cardio-respiratory monitors (~15 feet away); I personally can't see them well enough to work safely without my contacts or glasses on. We sometimes work in low-light settings, especially if you work night shift, although you're always welcome to turn the bright lights on if you need to see something crucial.

Are you trying to decide if you should go into NICU? This may not be feasible, but could you try to shadow? That may give you a sense for your own abilities and limitations relative to the NICU-specific environment and equipment.

Thanks for the feedback

Specializes in NICU.

You do need sharp vision even if it with glasses,I notice some will raise the lights switch to the high point because of poor vision problems. But premies need low light .

Specializes in Developmental Care.

I have to wear very strong glasses or contacts, there's no way I could work without them. Or do anything for that matter. I think it depends on the severity of your vision issues and how well it can be corrected.

+ Add a Comment