Medicare Fraud?

Specialties Home Health

Published

Hi, I am working in HH and I love the actual work, it is the charting that drives me crazy. My supervisors keep changing my OASIS/ assesment answers to ones that just aren't true, especially in functional scores. I am guessing that the aagency gets paid more if the patient is graded as being in worse shape?

For example, a pt with chf, copd, dementia. Still walks talks, continent, bathes self. No walker, cane needed at all. My answers were downgraded to umust use bedside commode, unable to transfer self. Then OT came in and rated her independent all adls, which I would agree with. I am baffled.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
Not understanding an oasis has nothing to do with outright changing a nurse's documentation from self ambulation to unable to transfer...

I hear you guys and one can only "hope" the changes are legitimate but my reality self knows that this stuff happens on a regular basis, that I've been asked to be complicit in it, and I've seen Home Health companies go out of business because of it.

Another subject that isn't talked about...HH agencies buying gifts or providing other benefits or compensation to providers for patient referrals.

Some patients can put on a "good act" at times, there was one person in a nursing home that I take care of other residents in that I thought was a visitor. But when I talked to her more on one day, it was obvious that she was far from 100% competent and would have been unsafe outside of a supervised setting. So safety is key, if someone is not capable of making rational decisions they are unsafe. They may be able to use the bathroom, but are they REALLY safe using the stove? Will they ALWAYS remember to turn it off? Are they ALWAYS safe in the tub or shower? Can they take their medications safely EVERY day? Will they remember to take them? These are things to be considered......

+ Add a Comment