36 weeker in isolette

Specialties Ob/Gyn

Published

Many if my coworkers don't feel it's necessary to for a LPI on phototherapy to be placed in an isolette. I always put them in one because there are at risk for not regulating their temperature. What are your thoughts?

If isolettes are the only bed you have that provides temp control then yes. If I had an overbed that would be my first choice, but I guess with that option you get the worry of the overbed melting the isolette.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

I would let the baby tell me what s/he needs. If it can thermoregulate in an open crib, then there you go. Some can, some won't be able to and will need an incubator.

We typically don't need incubators for kiddos over 35 weeks, and since our incubator is stored in a closet, we don't automatically use it unless the infant tells us they need it.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.
If isolettes are the only bed you have that provides temp control then yes. If I had an overbed that would be my first choice, but I guess with that option you get the worry of the overbed melting the isolette.

The overbed lights should not get hot enough to melt anything. If it does, it should be taken out of use, because that's a serious fire hazard.

Sorry I phrased that wrong, I meant overbed heater melting the photo lights if they get to close.

Thanks ladies!

Specializes in Neonatal Nurse Practitioner.

Bili blankets are awesome for these kids since you can keep them wrapped. But I'd choose a warmer over an isolette. I've never had a problem with the warmer melting the phototherapy light. We put ours off to the side and tilt the light, not directly under the heat source.

On big kids, I'll put a hat and socks on them and crank the room temp up. If they stay warm like that, great.

+ Add a Comment