What is it like working on a Medical-Psych Unit?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Psychiatric RN & Retired Psychiatric CNA.

I'm currently searching for positions on various medical-psych units, which are few and far in between. I wanted to know how is your med-psych unit.

Specializes in ED, psych.

I just left one.

I really enjoyed it. It was the best of both worlds. I did enough of the medical to keep and improve on my skills, while working with a patient population that I found interesting. A patient population that I always wanted to work in.

I only left because of scheduling.

Good luck!

I just left one.

I really enjoyed it. It was the best of both worlds. I did enough of the medical to keep and improve on my skills, while working with a patient population that I found interesting. A patient population that I always wanted to work in.

I only left because of scheduling.

Good luck!

Thank you!!! If you don't mind what state was it in? There's not many of these units around. Also were they high acuity or was it like med surg.

I'm currently searching for positions on various medical-psych units, which are few and far in between. I wanted to know how is your med-psych unit.

The one I worked at was hell on earth. The unit was staffed like a "typical" med/surg unit although the patients were psychotic, hostile, uncooperative, etc. Their psychiatric issues were not well addressed which made their first-priority medical issues very difficult to deal with. The unit was alarmed, but not locked ...sort of voluntary, but teetering on the edge. There were certainly not too many boring days, though. I guess I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure?

Specializes in ED, psych.
Thank you!!! If you don't mind what state was it in? There's not many of these units around. Also were they high acuity or was it like med surg.

Just PM'ed you!

The one I worked at was hell on earth. The unit was staffed like a "typical" med/surg unit although the patients were psychotic, hostile, uncooperative, etc. Their psychiatric issues were not well addressed which made their first-priority medical issues very difficult to deal with. The unit was alarmed, but not locked ...sort of voluntary, but teetering on the edge. There were certainly not too many boring days, though. I guess I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure?

Wow. Hopefully the unit I choose treat the medical/psych illnesses equal. Thank you!

+ Add a Comment