Time Management Help!

Specialties Geriatric

Published

Specializes in LTC.

I got hired into a long term care facility and have started to work nights. For the most part, it's just me and a cna with about 52 residents. Rounds start from 2330 and occur every couple of hours. At this facility, I do rounds with the cna, helping him or her with safety checks, toileting, and changing the residents. I also help with folding 2 bins of laundry with him or her. Any advice for how to get all the nursing tasks done while having to help out the cna?

Specializes in Med/Surge, Psych, LTC, Home Health.

:banghead:

That. Is. Way. Too. Much. Work.

52 residents. You and a CNA. What nursing tasks do you have???

Do you have to give any meds? Check fingersticks?

That is absolutely ridiculous. Absolutely. Ridiculous.

Specializes in LTC.
:banghead:

That. Is. Way. Too. Much. Work.

52 residents. You and a CNA. What nursing tasks do you have???

Do you have to give any meds? Check fingersticks?

That is absolutely ridiculous. Absolutely. Ridiculous.

Well,every day we have at least 2 or three tasks that we have to complete, for example, monday we have to put all the meds away from pharmacy but we have to scan them in with a barcode which takes a bajillion years to do, we also have to check the lab book for any labs for the next day. I just wish that I was oriented better, I'll have to check the shift routine again. I have 0600 meds that i have to give and I think I only have 1 fingerstick but that's for every monday.

Specializes in LTC.

And if there are things to file, I have to do that as well. On my second night shift at this facility I had to file a few lab results and a stack of papers for tamiflu orders a centimeter thick! I filed all tthe lab results but unfortunately couldn't get to all the orders, just for the residents downstairs (about twenty) and started some for the residents upstairs.

+ Add a Comment