Should you work as a CNA/Tech before or during nursing school

Nursing Students General Students

Published

I have been thinking of working during nursing school and may seek employment as a CNA or Patient Care Technican. What are your thoughts on working during nursing school? I do not need to work during school; however, financially it will be ALOT more comfortable if I do so. Also, I never worked on a hospital floor and read that working as a CNA in a hospital will be beneficial. Some have said nursing student who were not CNA or techs prior to becoming a nurse may struggle with time management skills and have a slower time learning skills. Do you think it is important to work as a CNA/tech before or during nursing school?

Also, I have healthcare experience assisting in surgery and as a medical assistant, but I never worked on a nursing floor in a hospital.

Specializes in PICU.

It isn't 100% necessary to work as a CNA prior to becoming a nurse.

The things that it teaches you are

1. workings of a hospital

2. Different roles, responsibilites of nurses, techs, dietary

3. Learning how to interact with patients and families

4. How to operate some equipment - monitors, feeding pumps, suction machines, glucose testing. Some will depend on the facility and the specific units. Some CNAs get to do more, some not

5. Vital signs and reporting VS

6. basic charting

What being a CNA does NOT teach you

1. Daily functioning as a nurse. Although you will work along side nurses, your job is focusing on the tasks assigned to you. You may not get to see how discharge teaching occurs, how discharge planning and preparation work, nursing assessments, determining when and why to call the MD, who are the resources. This is the role of nursing school

2. The responsibility of licensure. As a CNA you are an unlicensed personell. You have tasks delegated to you. You do not learn why some tasks can be delegated and others not. This is the role of nursing school

There are liklely others that can be added to the list, but this is a start.

I worked as a CNA while in nursing school and the hospital I worked at hired me as a new grad because I had good attendance, had demonstrated skills, readiness to learn, and was considered a good team player. I had a good idea of the functioning of the hospital from a CNA perspective, but learning the nursing perspective I learned once I became a nurse.

It is definitely worth it if you can do it.

Specializes in ICU, trauma.

i dont think being a CNA is very beneficial in terms of being a better nurse, but an absolute for the resume.

Specializes in Critical Care, Trauma.

I'm in a RN program right now and work two nights a week as a CNA at a hospital. I love it. The experience is great and my RNs all know I'm in school, so whenever something really interesting needs done they invite me to observe (if I'm not busy). They'll explain their steps and the logic behind what's being done. Foley catheter placement, placing NG tubes, trach suctioning, wound care, bucks traction, etc. Aside from the experience, I was really adamant about staying at the hospital while in school so I could get tuition assistance and also to have my foot in the door for a potential RN position after I graduate.

Specializes in Dementia.

You should work before and during nursing school. I'm in school now, and work as an Lpn just on weekends. For the experience, pay my bills etc......but if you're a CNA, and becoming a new nurse, you want somewhere to be before you graduate. This puts you 1 step ahead of the rest of the graduates.

Specializes in ER Technician.
I never worked as a CNA during my program. I did make friends and assist every CNA that I ever worked with though. CNAs make or break a shift. They are underpaid and overworked. My parents taught us "that you can learn something from everyone you meet." I learn something daily.

Thank you so much for saying this!

Specializes in ER Technician.

I think the experience of working as a tech before becoming a nurse is INVALUABLE! Definitely do it if you can, find the nurses that love to teach and mentor others and absorb all of the information you can! You will also gain experience in how to deal with the politics of nursing and hospitals in general.

Specializes in Neuro.

I feel the CNAs/PCTs have a definite advantage over those of us who went straight into nursing school without experience.

+ Add a Comment