New grad resume - help please!

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

Hello,

I just graduated from an ADN program and am studying furiously in preparation for the NCLEX. I am trying to put together a resume and have several questions.

1. Should I include work history that is 18+ years old? (I have been a homemaker for that long!) The one job I am most proud of was for an environmental testing laboratory that would have shown how I advanced from receptionist to sample control coordinator. The only drawback is that the company is no longer in existence. The other job was a clerical position. I do not believe anyone would remember me from that place. I did not hold these jobs for a remarkable length of time (less than 2 years each).

2. If I do not include any work history on my resume, should I include it for those jobs for which I apply online? They typically have a work history section. Should I include it there, or leave blank since it is so old?

3. My GPA: 3.92 Should I include it on my resume? I have seen this debated before, but in my case I am struggling to find something remarkable about myself to highlight on my resume.

4. I was a homeschool mom for 9 years. Does it help to bring this up in a cover letter, interview, or as part of my resume (under a special skills section?) to somehow explain why I chose to stay home past the typical child's age when most stay-at-home parents return to work? My concern is that I do not want to appear unambitious to work. I also do not want to detract from the professionalism of the situation by including information that is not pertinent.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

I would include the job history -- but only very briefly -- listing the dates, job titles, employer, etc. They will not have a lot of bearing on your getting hired now, but employers might like to know that you have successfully held a job before and understand what being an employee is like.

I would include the GPA to show that you are an outstanding student. Your student performance is your main strength at this point. Is there anything else you can include to indicate accomplishment in school? Were you involved with student government or with any special projects or groups? Have you done any volunteer work?

I would also list the homeschool very briefly -- no big explanations as it won't contribute much to your job readiness. But the brief statement will explain the gap in your employment history.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your advice!

+ Add a Comment