Video RN screaming, dragged into police car d/t refused blood draw on unconscious patient!

Nurses General Nursing

Updated:   Published

July 31 2017, guy fleeing police crosses median and slams into truck and dies. The truck catches fire severely burning the innocent driver, Mr. Gray, who was taken to SLC University. Police later showed up demanding to the UNCONSCIOUS innocent patient's blood. RN Alex shows them the policy requiring consent, arrest, or a warrant. Hospital administration back up RN Alex.

Police aggressively arrest RN Alex and removes her from the hospital. Officer body cam insanity released today:

NEWSPAPER ARTICLE:

Video shows Utah nurse screaming, being dragged into police car after refusing to let officer take blood from unconscious victim - The Salt Lake Tribune

Long video body cam:

In this video, the aggressive officer can be heard saying that he will ensure all the "transients" are brought to this hospitals ED since they won't cooperate after being told the administrators and privacy officer are on their way.

Original Crash (graphic):

Interesting note about Alex, she was a 2x Olympian, US Ski Team member, and national champion is Slalom and GS.

Specializes in MDS/ UR.

Must be the left over egg nog.

Specializes in ICU + Infection Prevention.
It's disturbing you Don't realize she was advocating for one patient, and disturbing MANY other patients.

You are arguing that if the nurse slightly disturbs some patients with noise while suffering unwarranted abuse in the line of protecting one patient from battery (which is the proper term for having a blood draw wrongly and forcibly taken), she should sacrifice that one patient to prevent some noise.

You either need to consider whether battery of one is worse than temporary noise for a few... or you need to retake your ethics class.

And of course none of this would have been necessary if FORMER Det. Payne had followed the law as he was supposed to.

You are arguing that if the nurse slightly disturbs some patients with noise while suffering unwarranted abuse in the line of protecting one patient from battery (which is the proper term for having a blood draw wrongly and forcibly taken), she should sacrifice that one patient to prevent some noise.

Of course I agree with you on the ethics, but I don't think that angelnursedf meant that the nurse should have sacrificed the one patient to protect the ears of the many. I think that what angelnurse was suggesting is that a good nurse should simply have endured the tender administrations of Detective Pain in a more stoic fashion so as not to frighten the other patients. This is the reason why I suspect that the post was designed to cause a bit of a stir and make nurses aplenty leap to the defense of their manhandled sister in white.

The gut reaction of most or perhaps even all healthcare workers seeing a nurse being treated as poorly and roughly, when her only sin was doing her job of protecting her patient, is in all likelihood one of dismay. I don't buy that a healthcare professional would point the blame at the nurse for scaring other patients, or say that she was "ONLY" being arrested (no big deal... :rolleyes:) and should have remained calm (meaning quiet).

This thread was bumped from a deep slumber...

Call me cynical...

:)

Specializes in Trauma, Teaching.

This thread was bumped from a deep slumber...

Call me cynical...

Okay, you're cynical. :D

Just because you happen to be right doesn't lessen that, hmmm?

1 Votes
+ Add a Comment