OHSU ABSN 2013 Applicants

U.S.A. Oregon

Published

I didn't see a thread.....although it is quite early yet for some to be thinking about the upcoming application session. I am a senior at Marylhurst/PCC, will be graduating Spring 2013 and applying to OHSU, Duke, and John Hopkins this Fall.

Anyone current students that have advice? Anyone who just applied have any tips for the application? Anyone else applying?

Good Luck to those taking Summer courses!

Specializes in Pediatrics, Women's Health, Primary Care.

Nice to meet you saude.nw-- I am in the Fall cohort too!

Hey everyone -- I got an email on April 10 saying that I was accepted into the Fall cohort! So excited. I have never been on this site before but want to get a feel for who else might be in my cohort. Congrats and good luck!

tkcervenka we have a facebook group set up, see the link on a previous post! I am also in the Fall cohort, and we have a few others on the FB group. Congrats and looking forward to meeting you :)

mamakac -- Thanks so much! I look forward to meeting everyone.

Can any current students shed any light on how doable it seems to maintain a very high GPA in this program? I know it helps get into new grad programs, and I plan on continuing on to grad school to become an advanced practice nurse at some point, so maintaining a high GPA is key for me.

Also, do you and your classmates feel as if you are getting enough practice to feel clinically competent?

I would love some feedback from current students on those things as well, especially the clinicals part!

Oh and stats for those reapplying:

My stats:

Previous degree: BS in social work 3.96 GPA

I'm not entirely sure of my pre-reqs GPA...my one B was in Stats so probably something similar. I still had A and P II and III to complete at the time I submitted my application. Everything else was done.

My essay focused on why I decided to pursue nursing and how my experiences in child protective services are applicable to nursing, my experience with my grandma and her cancer and how those nurses inspired me, etc. I don't have a lot of hospital/health care experience beyond some volunteering and my grandma! I did spend a lot of time on the essay (a couple of months) and had multiple people edit it and give me feedback!

I know at least one girl who I met at Duke who was accepted to OHSU but has decided to go to San Diego so keep your hopes up waitlisters!

Oh and this was my first time applying.

Thanks all for the feedback on applying multiple times. I am another "highly likely," so I am hoping I won't need to, but trying very hard not to get my hopes up! I suppose there is nothing to do but wait at this point!

One thing I have been curious about is everyone's previous medical experience. Do most students typically have lots of work/volunteer experience specifically in the medical field, or do most people just have general life experience that can relate in some ways but isn't necesissarily, like, hospital work? I don't know if there are any current students who could shed any light on this?

I was accepted my first time applying, and here are my stats:

3.63 undergrad GPA

4.0 prereq GPA (all completed before applying)

several years of volunteering in community clinics

I also gained entry to a highly competitive ABSN in my state, and it clearly wasn't due to my GPA. I think that my long-standing and varied volunteer experiences set me apart, as did my personal statement. My story of how I first thought I could be a healthcare provider was pretty compelling, so I ran with it and tried to balance the storytelling aspect with concrete examples of how my diversity of experiences (professional and volunteer) have prepared me for nursing. I sent my statement to many people (especially nurses) for review and feedback.

Good luck to all waiting to hear!

I am another "Highly Likely" alternate. Here's to hoping for the best!!

My stats for those interested:

3.87 overall GPA (BA is still in progress, though)

All pre-reqs but Microbiology completed- 3.8 in pre-reqs

Volunteer experience at OHSU and with Komen Row for the Cure

Internship at local clinic in the care coordination office

Wrote in my essay about personal medical experiences that led me to nursing, as well as my dedication to collaborative work with patients in being pro-active in the healthcare, and my commitment to education (wanting to eventually become a nursing educator)

First time applying-- was rejected at PCC and for the OHSU 3 year program (recived the email about a month ago)

+ Add a Comment