Is Excelsior the right choice?;)

Nursing Students Excelsior

Published

I am an LPN and hand been out of school got a little over a year. Wanted to work on RN while working full time ! So researched and found EXCELSIOR,seems like a perfect fit for my busy schedule. Just a lite nervous about going it alone and is the program a good program for obtaining my RN license? Thanks for any advise;)

I know several who have been successful with Excelsior. Good luck to you!

I know several who have been successful with Excelsior. Good luck to you!

Thanks makes me alot less nervous;)

Specializes in critical care, Med-Surg.

I did it many years ago, and then continued on to a public university for BSN.

Excelsior was the perfect bridge for me...

Good luck!

I did it many years ago, and then continued on to a public university for BSN.

Excelsior was the perfect bridge for me...

Good luck!

Thanks!!;)

Specializes in Emergency.

I just graduated on November 16 from the Excelsior program, passed my NCLEX-RN the first time on December 20 at 75 questions, and received my RN from the Texas Board of Nursing on December 27. Wooo hoo! It took me a bit over a year and a half to complete the educational part of the program and the CPNE; I was not in a rush, and GPA was very important for future educational goals. The cost was comparable to the brick n' mortar nursing schools in my area... about $9000, which included the textbooks that I buy new since I keep them and can't stand having highlighters and writing in them, lol!

I have two emergency department job interviews lined up this month, so the "Excelsior College" stigma that sometimes we hear about obviously doesn't apply in this area. As one of the nurse recruiters told me, "If Texas accepts it, we accept it".

I have no regrets. Even though California (my original home) doesn't accept it, I have no plans to return back there except to visit family. Do make sure your state's BON accepts Excelsior before you apply.

The ability to earn this education and continue working full time as a paramedic was a very important consideration in this decision... I know where you're coming from in that aspect, and is very doable. Just don't expect to have a life ;)

Good luck!

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

Just be aware that EC is not recognized in all states, and some states have additional requirements before NCLEX: State Board Requirements - excelsior.edu

I recommend visiting the ADN program page and downloading the School of Nursing catalog and any other relevant info so that you can read about the program and know what to expect: Excelsior College | Program Details. If you create an account and go to the downloads page (https://my.excelsior.edu/group/myexcelsior-publications/fees-financial-information-and-forms), there is a document called "How Much Will Your Excelsior College Associate Degree in Nursing Cost?" that is a very handy tool to estimate exam costs and estimate fees. This way there are no surprises, like when students say they didn't know about the $485 student services annual fee or the $495 graduation fee.

I graduated from EC in 2008. Worked very well for me. Good luck!!!

Specializes in Several.

I'm currently enrolled at Excelsior. I haven't had any problems/complaints so far. I love not being stuck in a classroom. I've talked to several nurses in my area who went through Excelsior...they didn't have any complaints.

OP, which state do you live in? I know a couple of EC graduates and it worked well for them. However, they live here in NY where I am and where EC is. Once , your state accepts EC, I would say go for it!

Just be aware that EC is not recognized in all states and some states have additional requirements before NCLEX: State Board Requirements - excelsior.edu

I recommend visiting the ADN program page and downloading the School of Nursing catalog and any other relevant info so that you can read about the program and know what to expect: Excelsior College | Program Details. If you create an account and go to the downloads page (https://my.excelsior.edu/group/myexcelsior-publications/fees-financial-information-and-forms), there is a document called "How Much Will Your Excelsior College Associate Degree in Nursing Cost?" that is a very handy tool to estimate exam costs and estimate fees. This way there are no surprises, like when students say they didn't know about the $485 student services annual fee or the $495 graduation fee.

I graduated from EC in 2008. Worked very well for me. Good luck!!!

Thanks ! I live in Ga. So I have other things possibly ;) I have a lot of clinical hours I hope will cover the board requirements;) thanks for link ! Will look at links too!! A lady at excelsior was very helpful in explaining this;)

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

You're welcome. I also just wrote a big, long post with a bunch of information: https://allnurses.com/excelsior-college-online/ec-distance-learning-808335.html

I also live in Georgia, but I am in the Army and I am actually licensed in Virginia. I am considering getting my GA license as well, but it looks like a headache! I have more than four years of acute care experience (ER) as an RN, so I hope like heck that I won't be told to do a preceptorship. LOL

Specializes in critical care, Med-Surg.

The California thing... not an issue for me, but I wonder what would happen since I have since rec'd BSN from University Of Alabama? Would they still deny me licensure based on initial degree?

I am about to enroll in Master's program, too. My goodness, Excelsior was great for me, but I would hate to think I couldn't move to any state after subsequent degrees at public universities...

Anyone know anything about this? (Not that I'm planning on moving to Ca).

+ Add a Comment