Columbia ETP vs. master's

U.S.A. New York

Published

Specializes in Pediatric Pulmonology and Allergy.

Please help me understand this. If you have a non-nursing bachelor's and apply to Columbia ETP, you can go straight into an NP program with NO nursing experience, but if you already have a BSN and want to apply for the NP program, you need to have at least 1 year acute care experience?

Please help me understand this. If you have a non-nursing bachelor's and apply to Columbia ETP, you can go straight into an NP program with NO nursing experience, but if you already have a BSN and want to apply for the NP program, you need to have at least 1 year acute care experience?

Yeah, for ETP you don't need to have any experience since the students already have a non-nursing Bachelor's degree and have only taken BSN prerequisites; but they don't even have the RN license.

It seems that if you want to enroll in the NP program, they prefer to have 1 year of experience in the specialty you choose. So, if you wanted Acute care, they prob would want to see some ER or ICU experience, if you wanted to go into peds, they'd want to see 1 year of peds experience. But I think it's possible that the experience doesn't even matter all that much, but is certainly preferred.

I got into the Columbia ETP Program but decided it was just too expensive. A lot of hospitals pay if you want to go back to school part time anyway. Not all hospitals (or unions) will pay for Columbia, but have certain schools that you can choose from within the CUNY/SUNY system, or other, less expensive schools.

Good luck!

Hi Tanguera,

I am extremely interested in Columbia's ETP program. I was wondering if you could share your acceptance success story? Stats? Healthcare experience? etc. I would greatly appreciate it! I'm still trying to determine if I would be a successful applicant.

Thanks!

Alex

+ Add a Comment