Did I Leave Nursing Too soon?

Nurses Retired

Published

I graduated from nursing school with a BSN in May 2010. Nursing was my second career and I didn't start nursing school until I was 40 years old. I was in an accelerated BSN program in Los Angeles and found a job quickly out of school. I worked on the floor for 8 months before moving to the OR which is where I thought I wanted to be. I only lasted in the OR for 15 months. I am now working at another hospital in an administrative position and am starting to regret my decision to leave clinical nursing.

I am seriously considering trying to move back into the clinical arena, either in geriatrics or hospice nursing, but am afraid that my lack of solid experience in nursing may hinder my efforts.

Has anyone else left clinical nursing early in their career and tried to return to the clinical setting?

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Specializes in Clinical Research, Outpt Women's Health.

No, I have never done bedside. However, what do you have to lose? You sound bored and all you can do is try something else. Maybe see if you can shadow after you have an interview.

Well only you can decide that

Have to look at $ of course, not sure what you are making compared to nursing

Think about your prev two positions and why you didnt stay long in either

Gotta love it to go back - too much stress, BS, demands, politics etc if you dont

+ Add a Comment