Stony Brook Accelerated BSN class of 2013

U.S.A. New York

Published

Hey all! Just wanted to lend my support to anyone else who is applying to SB next summer! It's a grueling process :-)):yeah:

We won't be hearing anything for AT LEAST another month, and that is only if a miracle occurs!

Specializes in ICU / PCU / Telemetry / Oncology.
We won't be hearing anything for AT LEAST another month, and that is only if a miracle occurs!

A miracle is right ... no way will you hear anything before holidays are over! No one knows how grueling the wait from the SBU admissions is more than I do ... because I did it 2 years in a row. Hang in there, decisions will be out in no time.

anyone applied to LIU or PACE nursing program?? which one is better?

Hi guys! I am currently in school getting my B.S. in health and society and minoring in spanish. I have about two and a half years left. I am extremely interested in stonybrook's accelerated BSN program. What science did you guys choose as your "other science". What were your GPAs as well, if you don't mind me asking. I have always wanted to be a nurse, but my mom kind of forced me into getting my B.S. instead of pursuing nursing. Any help about this program would be fantastic! Thanks so much in advance!

Hi guys! I am currently in school getting my B.S. in health and society and minoring in spanish. I have about two and a half years left. I am extremely interested in stonybrook's accelerated BSN program. What science did you guys choose as your "other science". What were your GPAs as well, if you don't mind me asking. I have always wanted to be a nurse, but my mom kind of forced me into getting my B.S. instead of pursuing nursing. Any help about this program would be fantastic! Thanks so much in advance!

I don't care for chemistry so much so I chose another biology - Human Biology. :)

I took Earth Science

hi laurmclaugh,

at the info session i went to, they stressed that gpa in sciences was more important than the class itself. so, i would recommend taking something that you are interested in more, or know you can do well in. i had taken basic sciences for my first degree, so basic bio was my other science. the only other thing to consider is that if you are up against many others who have stronger sciences such as organic chem or genetics, etc...something too basic may not be enough. i took organic and genetics as electives, although i did not get a's in these, the balance of my prereqs were a's...so i guess what i am saying is that you should try to take the most interesting/tough classes that you can as long as you feel confident you can do well.

hi laurmclaugh,

at the info session i went to, they stressed that gpa in sciences was more important than the class itself. so, i would recommend taking something that you are interested in more, or know you can do well in. i had taken basic sciences for my first degree, so basic bio was my other science. the only other thing to consider is that if you are up against many others who have stronger sciences such as organic chem or genetics, etc...something too basic may not be enough. i took organic and genetics as electives, although i did not get a's in these, the balance of my prereqs were a's...so i guess what i am saying is that you should try to take the most interesting/tough classes that you can as long as you feel confident you can do well.

hi annie,

when was the info session? what else did they tell you? thanks.

It was in October, just before the applications were due...you can go online to SBU website to look for future session dates.

There was a lot of info, they answered questions after reviewing basic information. They stressed importance of science GPA and recommendation letters. They said they look at each applicant to see how successful they will be in the nursing program and in practice. It is not all about GPA, the individual background/life experience, etc...is also considered so letters should reflect that. They are looking for leadership qualities as well. They accepted only about 10% of applicants last year, and they are trying to get decisions out in January...hope this info helps.

Hey everyone:

Did anyone apply/consider applying to Northern Arizona University's Accelerated program? My parents moved to Arizona in September, and when I visited, I spoke with their friend's daughter who goes there for their standard 4-year program, and she LOVES it. Should I not get into Stony Brook, I think I will apply to NAU (I'll have to pay out-of-state tuition, most likely)... but I was just wondering if anyone had insight into their application and acceptance policies? Thanks!

Arizona is pretty far lol. I'm sure the out of state tuition is comparable to that of a private school near here, and if your parents live close enough to campus, you'd save on housing! I almost wish I had a back up like that! My family is all here, so I don't plan on leaving =(

+ Add a Comment