Tips for a Successful Preceptorship in CCU

Specialties Cardiac

Published

Hello everyone,

I am a LVN in a ADN program, and I found out today that I will be doing my preceptorship in a CCU and that I am starting as soon as next week. I have had clinical rotations in telemetry and cardiac step-down units, and have observed in ICUs. However, I know this preceptorship will be extremely challenging so I would like to get some tips and suggestions on how to make the best of it.

What are the key advanced hands-on skills I should start learning in our school's skills lab so I can get a headstart?

What areas of knowledge do you find that new graduates often lack when it comes to cardiac nursing?

Are there any books that you have found particularly useful when you studied cardiac nursing, particularly when it comes to ECGs?

I am excited and incredibly nervous. I have butterflies in my stomach!

Thank you so much for your time. :D

Specializes in Cath Lab/ ICU.

Are you required to produce a checklist of things you would like to accomplish during your preceptorship?

Don't worry about getting ahead, or practicing ahead of time. Your preceptor will show you how he/she does things and go from there. Just be willing to learn and be professional and you'll be fine.

Well, maybe brush up on your ekg skills...a line waveforms, hemodynamics and such.

Yes, we are required to make a list of objectives on a daily basis.

There is barely anything to simply "brush up" on because most of these things are new to me hehe

ECG, arterial line care, basic concepts behind hemodynamics and brushing up on cardiac drugs seem to the top priorities.

Thank you for the input :)

Specializes in Cath Lab/ ICU.

I used a book called hemodynamics made easy-list of pictures and waveforms. Picture of the actual swans so you can familiarize yourself with the ports. It's a good book...

http://www.amazon.com/Hemodynamic-Monitoring-Made-Incredibly-Visual/dp/1582555036

+ Add a Comment